We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

When the crowd forms around the luggage carousel I always wonder why more luggage is not stolen at this point. It appears to me that it would be very easy to take a piece of luggage, particularly if it were a common size and color.

Even if the thief did not get anything from inside the suitcase, if the suitcase itself was expensive, they would successfully get a suitcase.

The only airport I have ever been in that checked to make sure you owned the luggage with which you were leaving the airport is Oakland, and I do not know if they still supervise luggage.

Since the carousels are always on the non-secure side of the airport it seems like anyone could just walk in and take luggage.

Are there some precautions of which I am unaware? My only solution is to be standing right next to the door from which luggage emerges, but I am slow and seldom get to the carousel in time to get that spot. Generally I am at least one row or people behind the carousel.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

I sort of agree, though I suppose its an expensive way to steal a suitcase, to go on a flight. You cant usually just wander into the bagagge area though can you?

I always wonder at all the black suitcases, must be easy to pick one of those by mistake, I wonder how much of "the airline lost my luggage" is down to that?

FWIW, when I used to fly into Austin, Texas (haven't been there for years) they did check your luggage tags but I have never experienced that anywhere else.

I have some of the worlds most garish luggage to mitigate the "black suitcase" problem.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 22:09
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

At Sea-Tac, anyone can enter the baggage claim area, and I've also wondered why more bags don't get stolen, especially expensive pieces.

My daughter's bag was mistakenly taken at SEA by another passenger on our flight. We did get it back, but anyone could have walked off with it.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

We went to Grenada one year it was dark when we landed & DH grab a bag (black of course) I did not really check the bag at the time too busy looking for the Rep to transport us to the hotel

We are standing in line at the hotel to check in & I noticed it is not our bag YIKES ( I have a piece of red duct tape on the back & side of the bag)

I was heading to tell the rep we had the wrong bag when I saw another passenger had our bag ...thank goodness we were at the same hotel

Now I check before we leave the baggage area

I agree.. the security should be checking the luggage tags to be sure they match your stub the airlines give you

Edited: 18 June 2011, 22:37
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

I can't imagine it's very lucrative considering most of what you'd be getting is dirty clothes. So you'd have to steal a lot of suitcases to score something good. Even if a "gang" of a few people rotated around I think eventually security or an airline/airport employee would start recognizing the culprits.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

Do you think any of these luggage carousels are supervised by closed-circuit TV?

I have also picked up luggage that was not mine, and I have chased down people who picked up mine. Now I buy the ugliest suitcases I can find, and my husband has put bright tape on the two standard black bags that we use.

There is no airport I frequent where it is not very easy for someone to simply walk in from the street to the luggage area. I often meet people who are flying in in this area because it is so easy for me to get to it. I assume therefore that it would be easy for one person to park in the luggage loading area, while another runs in and picks up luggage from the carousel and then dashes back outside for a quick get-away.

I suspect that most suitcases do not contain lots of valuable things, but some suitcases cost hundreds of dollars, and it seems like they would be attractive to some types of people.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,308 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

Well i remember when i use to fly to LAX they use too have a security guard at the door and he would check luggage claim checks,they dont anymore at many of the airports thats sad.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

i agree with #4.

in 45 years of air travel have never had my bag 'stolen' off the carousel.

neither has it been accidentally taken.

i think there are more lucrative pursuits for the crims.

the market for second hand bags is surely limited.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

Just to repeat an earlier post content,the carousels are airside.It is not easy to get from landside to airside without accreditation so if a theft of a bag does occur it is probably by a passenger.But it is easy to collect an additional bag/case off the carousel and wheel it out especially if it is expensive-looking.You might get dirty underwear but you might get jewellery.This post makes major sense.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

There are really not that many evil people in the world that want to steal bags. Add in that is is an expensive pain to get to the airport, park, and hang out in an area more heavily populated police and security cameras than most public areas. The thief also can't be sure that the real owner of the bag is not five feet away when they try to make their heist - pretty easy to get caught. They would also have to find a way to convert their merchandise to cash. A would be criminal would be much better off spending their time learning to be a pick-pocket.

Also consider the insanity that would take place if there was a line where everyone had to have their claim check inspected. People can't even make it 100 feet at Costco from the register to the exit where they check your receipt without losing it. The backup at an airport will be a mile long as people dig through every pocket in their carry on trying to remember where they put that claim check 8000 miles and three connections back.

Australia
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety Of Bags On Luggage Carousel?

IAD domestic baggage pick up is accessible to the general public (don't know if international baggage is unloaded to the same carousels probably not as customs would have to be negotiated?).

The carousels are in the public area downstairs totally accessible to one and all - this was last month..

Edited: 19 June 2011, 00:10