We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

I'm flying to Mexico for 2 weeks on Sunday. In my checked luggage I have a 4L box of wine--is this going to cause me any problems with the US Customs pre-clearance at YYZ? Do I declare it and hope I don't get a power-mad agent (we have an early flight, not enough time for secondary inspections) or just keep mum?

I'm allowed to bring 6L of alcohol into Mexico, it's just the US Customs I'm worried about.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

Just declare it. You are allowed only 1L duty free, but can bring in as much as you want by paying duty, which last I checked was $2.85 per liter. (Can vary based on % alcohol). Chances are they will not bother with the paperwork for $9 of revenue and will just waive you on. Do not "keep mum". If they find it they can confiscate it and fine you.

I've brought in as much as 20 liters many times and probably only get sent to secondary to pay about 50% of the time. This was via car, but the rules are the same.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,223 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

Don't people usually BUY alcohol in Mexico because it is much cheaper than in their home countries?? Most folks from Canada tell me they pay very high prices there for any alcohol. You might just buy some in the USA or in Mexico to save some money instead of bringing it all the way from home!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

And wine in a "box"...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

Ah, "Chateau de Cardboard" .... brings back memories of my youth, when quantity counted for more than quality (when it came to grog anyway lol)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

but MT, take it from me, in this time of a grape glut and wine over production in aus lots of good wine goes into the 'box' so as not to devalue the bottled version.

so dont discount all of it (no pun intended).

same with cleanskins which have become the new 'box'.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

I agree, if you insist on still transporting it....(Heavy and not much of a deal..) certainly declare it...You DO NOT want to be found failing to declare. The consequences can be huge.

Not worth it...on many levels.

7. Re: Transiting US with more than 1L of alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 22:18