We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Virgin airlines

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
19 reviews
Question about Virgin airlines

I am thinking about booking a trip to London on virgin airlines. I've only flown twice before out of the USA, once on Aer Lingus and once on British air. both were good experiences. Can I expect the same from virgin? thank you.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

Last time I flew with Virgin Atlantic was about four years ago. Well, they got my family and me to London and back safely and our luggage was not 'lost'. But I must say that the FA's were not all that friendly and the food was unmemorable (as Economy food is these days actually). And the inflight entertainment (AVOD) kept having to be rebooted. This is a small complaint, but they do not offer any inflight magazine. They had some flyer that advertised items I believe. From the comments I've noticed lately they are not so well-liked as in the past. In comparison with BA I prefer BA.

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

Read my post "Virgin won't honour flight vouchers" (recent!).

Virgin are the most unhonourable company I have ever handed money over to. The FA are unmemorable and they ran out of soft drinks on the way out. The food is shockingly bad (and I'm not fussy!!) and they lost our luggage on the return trip the same as the OP. The return trip was even worse. NEVER AGAIN!!

We are flying BA in Oct. It'll just be a result for us if the crew aren't striking and the plane leaves!!!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

i flew with them to new york in may. we booked with them during their sale at christmas, when the threat of strikes by b.a. first started. we usually fly b.a.

the flight out was pleasant. the seat pitch slightly less than b.a., but not really enough to worry about. the food was edible and we were given our first choice in each direction. the flight out was on time, the return delayed by two hours due to problems with runway at jfk.

the f.a.s were pleasant and helpful. the ground staff were friendly and efficient. we checked in on line and did not have to wait at baggage drop but were sent to the first available counter which was upper class. we were very impressed with their operation at heathrow.

i don't know about ife; we take our own music and headphones and try to get some sleep.

in short i would fly with them again, even if b.a. stopped their strike nonsense.

pam

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

thank you for the responses. It sounds like flying virgin can be a bit of a crap shoot. I'll try very hard to avoid it, if I can. And, I will read about virgin not honoring flight vouchers today.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

Just FYI this was reported today about a Virgin US-bound flight coincidentally. Of course, it could also occur with any international-based airline.

csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0623/…

A similar thing happened to us nearly two decades ago on a London-bound BA flight. We were kept on the tarmac for four hours. But we were all compensated with hotels and meals. But again this was in the 1991, it was BA, and times have changed.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

I just read your post. Wow! what happened? Were you ever compensated fairly?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,818 posts
98 reviews
7. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

I travelled with Virgin Atlantic in March to Dubai. Both flights on time, very good food and friendly crew. Could not fault any aspect, 10/10!

essex
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

Hi maliboony,

Yes we have now been compensated by Virgin. They were, though, rude and ungracious until the bitter end. Complaint letters were answered insincerely by customer services, a letter to Mr Branson responded with a "standard" reply letter, Mr Branson to busy to reply blah blah (actually it's because he doesn't give a monkeys and too busy with his "space programme"!!) and a letter to the directors was ignored.

Things do go wrong, it's a fact of life (Virgin managed to excel at wrong!!), but it's how it's handled after that counts.

In my opinion, Virgin lose interest the minute they take your money. Search the net, there are tons of unhappy Virgin customers!!!!

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

Mr. Branson, besides being too busy flying to his Necker Island socializing, I doubt would ever respond.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Question about Virgin airlines

Why would you even write to Richard Branson at all? lol You do not seriously expect him to stretch out under a palapa on one of his BVIslands, have a sip of rum and then go through the written account of your woes?