We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France refuses credit

Essex Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Air France refuses credit

BA and other airlines are asking passengers who do not need to fly this week to voluntarily give up their seats. Not Air France! We have 2 return flights Toronto to CDG leaving April 24th. We paid only $500 each, months ago.

I spoke with the Canadian call centre this afternoon and they flatly refused to give me a credit. Either fly on Saturday or forfeit the money.

When I pointed out that they could easily resell those seats for 2 or 3 times the money, the staff person agreed, but said there was no flexibility in their policy.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France refuses credit

You booked the tickets, why don't you use them?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,188 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France refuses credit

yes, why not fly?

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France refuses credit

You have no 'claim' to the credit. They are just telling you that they are playing by the rules you agreed to.

Essex Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France refuses credit

Because we have the flexibility to go another time (when the trains might not be on strike and airports might be less chaotic) and there are people who are desparately waiting for flights this week.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,188 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France refuses credit

strikes in France can be any time,would not worry about it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France refuses credit

Then sell them yourself. Even with a fee for name change you could be into pocket a few quid.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,450 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France refuses credit

Hi,

As I see, regardless if the OP's motives are self-serving or are altruistic, the fact of the matter is that this decision lies solely with Air France if they choose to allow the OP to cancel, rebook or otherwise..

Just from the way this OP framed the post, it sure sounds to me like the true motivation is not one of "helping" the airline accommodate stranded passengers- rather a secondary reasoning why AF should grant their request for a cancellation and credit-- due to some undisclosed need or reason.

I don't discount the fact that by relinquishing their seats, they will most likely be opening up a seat may help another passenger, however, Air France does retain the sole right if they will allow future dated tickets to be refunded or credited.

Travel Safe,

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air France refuses credit

Ummmm you are choosing not to fly. If other airlines are asking for people to voluntarily give up seats so what. AF are not so the policy is irrelevant.

AF are not refusing credit as they do not have to give it in these circumstances - its you that wants to change your plans and are looking for a loophole. Then complaining when they wont play ball.

Suck it up and go.

Essex Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air France refuses credit

Thanks for your views.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air France refuses credit

I don't think it's unfair of AF because that's their policy.