We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
474 reviews
Save Topic
Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

I'm currently trying to book flights to Tampa for 27th Dec 2010. I have a travel agent who has been looking for the best deals from Scotland (with one US changeover) She called today and asdvised a Continental flight was available at £647. When I said I thought that was expensive she said it was however it was coach rather than economy (class H apparently) so my next question was what was the difference. She claimed I would be allocated preferential seats and would be considered for upgrade however being very cynical I've searched the Continental website and can't see any mention of this. In fact I can't find anything which differentiates between Coach and Economy at all.

Can anyone shed any light ? I'm not intending to go back to the travel agent as I'm almost certain she was lying however to satisfy my own curiosity I'd like to know why some seats are called caoch and some economy

Thanks

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

Hi

It's just how the American's use the term coach instead of the UK's economy. I don't know about the H, I think it's just the pricing band, but I would expect you will get a better answer on here.

Clive

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

I am flying Continental from San Jose, Costa Rica to Houston and on to Frankfurt next week. On my fare class, the flights from SJO to IAH are labeled "Economy (S)" and the flights from IAH to FRA are labeled "Economy (L)". I haven't checked on the website to see what these codes mean, but that's what my ticket says.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

I've searched the same flights on the Continental website and some seats show as coach and some as economy so there does appear to be 2 options. No definition of what they mean though

p.s. apologies for the appalling spelling in the original post. TA seem to have removed the edit facility

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

Hi,

Coach is the same as Economy. But in America you will hear Coach.

But I do not think you will get a preferential seat or upgrade unless you are a Platinum member of Onepass. The " H " means the category of the ticket. H is a normal economy fare but Y is the most expensive fare .

Here is some more info :

http://www.seatguru.com/

seatguru.com/airlines/…information.php

Max

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

Gill68,

The edit button will appear only 10 minutes after you post something. After that you won't have a chance to edit your post.

Max

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

Seriously preferential seating? well if you buy a coach ticket then you will sit behind the first class people , whether you are in zone 1 or 4 ( which is what they label your boarding pass ) according to the rate you paid.

You still get there with everyone else.

Try checking flights out of other airports and compare pricing.

Edited: 17 March 2010, 19:39
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

The more expensive economy fares on US carriers tend to be upgradeable with miles. I don't think preferential seats come into it but GeoMedic, a CO regular may be able to testify.

As others have said Coach and Economy are the same thing.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

Here is some rate info :

W ,E, S, T, N, L are Discounted Economy fares - Non Flexible

M, H, K, Q, U, V, G are normal Economy fares

Y is the most flexible economy fare

Z is normal BusinessFirst or First class fare

F, C, D, J are Flexible BusinessFirst or First class fares.

Max

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

thanks Max (and others) - the class lists make things clearer.What I'm looking for is a non flexible economy however as Continental won't sell me one of them at the moment I'll just have to wait it out for a while and see what happens

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental Flights - Coach v's economy

May I suggest a new Travel Agent?

That line about "being considered for an upgrade" is just a joke.

Do agents in Scotland still get a commission based on sales? If so, it's possible that what she is selling you is what she gets PAID more on.

Anyway, it's pretty early for a December flight. Sit tight for a while!

Are you trying to book a one way flight? That's generally higher priced.

Edited: 17 March 2010, 21:47