We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

I have directly booked with Singapore airlines for stopover at Singapore and a few days later, I found out that I booked on wrong date. So, I rang up Singapore airlines and customer service told me that there will be extra AU$700 and I told them that I don't want to spend that much money. So, airline put me in the waiting list.

How long does it take to get confirmation because I can not book for Singapore stopover accommodation that I can get on flight or not.

If you had experience like that, please let me know or how to push airline to get confirmation, thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Tin

19 replies to this topic
Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Never heard of waitlist on SQ before in a situation like this. Are you sure it was Singapore Airlines you spoke to?

Who did you buy the ticket from (ie Expedia, Flight Centre, etc)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

what are the fare rules of your ticket...changes generally incur a change fee and fare difference. If is likely the new date does not have any seats in your booking class hence the fee.

Have you been waitlisted for the same booking class (so it would be change fee only?) there is no guarantee that there will be any seats will become available in that fare bucket so you would remain on your booked flight unless you pay the change fees

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,561 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Do you mean a waiting list for cancellation or have they put you on Standby?

Either way you need to wait until you get a confirmed seat before booking given your booking criteria. For Standby that could be at the airport, for the waiting list its when a seat comes free.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,631 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Perhaps not everyone understands the concept of "waitlisting." The traveler gets put into a queue, waiting for a particular fare bucket. This option is often not available when booking online these days (except for award travel). That's why occasionally, I still go to my trusted, living, breathing travel agent. She puts me onto a waitlist. Note that a waitlist is not standby. When my agent makes the reservation, she books me into a fare bucket with guaranteed availability (say Y, full fare economy) without issuing an actual ticket. She can hold the booking until date X per airline rules. In between, she also puts me on the waitlist for a cheaper bucket (say V). If the waitlist comes through before date X, I get to book the cheaper fare. Otherwise, I either tell her to issue the Y fare ticket or cancel the booking entirely. Sometimes she comes through, other times not.

In OP's case, it seemed like SQ offered and put him on the waitlist for the lower bucket fare. As I mentioned above, there is no guarantee whether OP will get a seat at the lower price at the end. It just depends. If the cheaper seat doesn't come through, OP's options are 1) stick to the original flights; 2) pay A$700 to change flights; 3) possibly not travel at all.

5. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 August 2018, 10:28
Edited: 21 August 2018, 10:28

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Hi travellinallover,

I have booked directly with Singapore airline and also spoke with them for date changes. Have you ever heard of that they are selling seat selections as well? If you are choosing forward seat, then you have to pay for it, like budget airlines.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Hi Carol G, my ticket is economic standard, means that I have to pay for date changes AU$70, if I got confirmation. But if I would like to seize the date that I wanted, then I have to pay for fare difference. Singapore airlines said, it's fully booked on the date that I wanted but when I checked with expert flyer, there are many seats left, sort of like marketing trick and making money from airlines.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Hi myrm,

I got confirmed on my original date in my ticket itinerary but I am on waited list that I would like to change. This is from Singapore airline response "When your waitlisted redemption flight is available for confirmation, you’ll get an email from us. And if you’ve given us your phone number when you book, you’ll also receive an SMS (local charges apply). So you know you won’t miss the good news! Of course, you’ll still need to accept the confirmed flight within a given time, so remember do to it here [https://goo.gl/gTZPXA] as soon as you get our notification(s)!"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

Hi SammyF1oyd,

I normally booked with flight centre but this time all the TAs' price difference was over $200 than Singapore airlines. So I booked directly and now I have to deal directly with SA for my matters.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,561 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?

<<If you are choosing forward seat, then you have to pay for it, like budget airlines>>

For the cheaper fare tickets, yes, you have to pay for forward seating but that's true with more and more major airlines and SIA is somewhat behind the curve actually (though they are not the last to go to the model) having only introduced this at the start of the year.

SIA's current model is for the cheapest seats (Lite) then you have to pay for any seat selection, saver fares (now renamed Standard) you pay for the forward zone, a full fare economy seat (the Flexi) then its only the extra legroom seats that get charged extra (which has been around for ages). Assorted other features creep in as you go up to more expensive service levels too (baggage, cancellation, changes etc).

Its becoming the standard because unbundling costs as per LCCs is the model to compete against. This essentially is just public demand - be that blindly grabbing the cheapest fare, or saving money by being able to ditch unwanted bundled features (traveller dependant) - and how we will see things go for the foreseeable future.

Reply to: How long do I need to wait for Singapore Air waitlist ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted