We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of airport codes on this forum

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Use of airport codes on this forum

Maybe it is just me, but I wish posters identify the cities by name rather than airport codes when they pose questions. It is OK when you are referring to well-known airports like LAX or LHR, but these other airport codes make my head spin and my desire to reply goes down drastically when I see such posts. Is this a problem for people? Just asking.

125 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

Is this a problem for people? Just asking

-------

No.

The only problem I have is when people try to use codes and get them wrong.

HRW is not Heathrow

GTW is not Gatwick

ORL is not Orlando

Etc.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

I agree that it would be nice to have the full name of the destination city as well as the (correct) airport code.

But I feel like this as well with the whole English language. Always using acronyms!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,533 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

“It is OK when you are referring to well-known airports like LAX or LHR”

—-

What about those from Australia say, MEL & SYD are well known codes to them. Are they not allowed to use codes for their local airports but only those who fly from the airports you suggest? I don’t mind someone using an airport code, if I don’t know which airport they are referring to I’ll look it up if I’m going to respond to a thread.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

I try to do that, but sometimes I too fall short. It’s the same with airline names vs IATA codes.

However, remember that many of us are posting on mobile and it’s not that easy to call out the airport or airline name. Also, it can be cumbersome writing “Singapore Airlines from Singapore” all the time. And finally remember that many cities have more than one airport (Rome Fiumicino or Rome Ciampino).

The one thing to note is that the IATA (or in some cases ICAO) abbreviations are distinct and accurate. VA is not Virgin Atlantic (it’s VS), and Bangkok Airways isn’t BA (it’s PG).

But I agree it’s good practice to at least make sure the airport or airline name is described at least once before resorting to abbreviations. Something like “Your Asiana (OZ) flight will depart Shanghai (PVG) from T2. Other airlines serving PVG include China Eastern (MU) or Korean (KE). But I fly OZ as they’re Star Alliance.”

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

I know where the GTW comes from for Gatwick. It is the three-letter code for Gatwick Airport Railway Station - not used in airline booking systems but in train booking systems. Why people think the two systems use the same codes I have no idea, even in countries where it is possible to book trains and planes on the same ticket, the codes are deliberately different.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

“GTW is not Gatwick”

===========

GTW is the official UK Network Rail abbreviation for Gatwick Airport Railway Station. So someone who’s checked www.nationalrail.co.uk and is asking about which train to get to GTW is correct. They’ll arrive by train at GTW, and then after exiting the ticket barriers turn right and enter LGW (the airport).

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

In addition to the above there are cities around the world with the same names so if someone posted only about flying from Birmingham for example someone from the UK may assume BHX and someone from the US may assume BHM.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

Btw, there’s a Top Question over there ->> on the right hand side of the full site called “Airline, Airport and Travel Abbreviations”, created by Geomedic, that explains a lot of these, plus other terms (IRROPS, Ketttles, OLCI, you name it).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10…

Edited: 15 August 2018, 05:40
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

The most incongruous names of airports are the Canadian airports starting with Y. Though we know the background still ..

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Use of airport codes on this forum

LGW - Whenever I see this airport code, I reflexively think of LaGuardia. (La GWardia,.)

Reply to: Use of airport codes on this forum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted