We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BKK connections

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BKK connections

Hello All

I’m due to travel between Phuket, Bangkok and then onwards to Sydney and just wanted to get some information before I finalise plans and book tickets.

If I booked a flight from Phuket to Bangkok with Bangkok Airways at 12:20 to arrive at 13:50 and with an onward flight to Sydney with Emirates at 19:30 would this be enough time? Assuming I’ll have to go through immigration and collect my bags and check back in.

I’ve no experience of BKK but would have thought that is plenty of time? Any advice would be appreciated. I could also book a slightly later flight with Thai to arrive at 14:45 but not sure which is the preferable carrier and would rather be comfortable with timings but I’d welcome any opinions.

16 replies to this topic
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BKK connections

Are you booking this as 1 through ticket or 2 separate tickets?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BKK connections

You do know Phuket and Bangkok are in the same country right? So there is no immigration to clear on that leg. You get off the plane, grab your bags and job done.

Make sure you check in online for the flight from Bangkok to Sydney, and you should be ok to be honest - although just for that extra buffer I would prefer the earlier flight.

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BKK connections

You need to complete exit passport control at BKK which can be time consuming (up to an hour) and baggage delivery can also be slow depending on how busy they are.

In theory you could be OK with a 4 hour connection but you could also be stuck if there are any delays. There was a thread on TA last week or so where someone was doing exactly this, they hit a weather delay and needed to pay to change their flights.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 14:07
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BKK connections

It would be separate tickets, yes.

In that case should I look to book an earlier flight? Or would the 12:20 be appropriate?

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BKK connections

Nobody can answer that question accurately because we don't know what is going to happen on the day. The risks around "connections" with separate tickets are detailed in a link under the Top Questions (top right of this page if you are on a PC) - I would say the variable weather conditions in that part of the world increase the risk factor.

Can you afford to pay to change your flight to SYD in the event you cannot get to Bangkok on time? Compare that to the cost of going up the night before and staying in a hotel.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BKK connections

Perhaps. I am being slow today.

Just book a ticket from Phuket to Sydney.

Try Scoot or Malaysian.

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BKK connections

Good point - I assumed from the crazy routing via Dubai that the long haul part of the journey was already booked.

Indeed there are many sensible ways to get from Phuket to Sydney without going via Dubai.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BKK connections

Sure things can go wrong, but I wouldn't blink an eye with 5 hour 40 minutes for connecting flights at BKK on separate tickets. Would be well within my acceptable risk level.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BKK connections

"Sure things can go wrong, but I wouldn't blink an eye with 5 hour 40 minutes for connecting flights at BKK on separate tickets. Would be well within my acceptable risk level."

===================

Not me. I'd want three alternative/backup ways to get to BKK in time for the onward flight and a minimum of 6 hours (whichever is longer).

And don't forget the mess this couple landed up in when trying a separate tickets non-connection to a QR flight two weeks ago. A bit on the extreme side (a HKT-BKK flight won't divert to UTP) but a reminder that things can go seriously wrong.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10…

10. Re: BKK connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 August 2018, 13:02
Edited: 10 August 2018, 13:02

Reply to: BKK connections
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted