We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Engines

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Booking Engines

I will be travelling to SE Asia at the end of the year and into early 2019. I will be booking internal flights between Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. There are so many different booking engines out there and I am wondering which are the more reputable sites?

I read terrible reviews on eDreams however they were from years ago. My preference is to book from a site that deals in Canadian Currency so I can avoid the 2.5% conversion rate my credit card company charges.

I would very much appreciate any advice and or tips anyone has.

Thank You :)

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,108 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Booking Engines

'I read terrible reviews on eDreams however they were from years ago.' No, they're not: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i107… https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i107… There are more threads, but that's enough. Add to the list both kiwi.com (one of the worst on the web) and Opodo.

'My preference is to book from a site that deals in Canadian Currency so I can avoid the 2.5% conversion rate my credit card company charges.' Choose the airline with which you'd like to travel. Go to their website and book the tickets. Booking through third party sites will mean paying a fee to the site to do something you can do yourself, and if things go wrong you may/will need to deal with the third party rather than the airline.

That 2.5% fee will be negligible in the overall cost of your holiday, worth the small extra spend.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,137 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Booking Engines

For travel in this area you should book directly with the carrier and early if you want a good price. I live in Vietnam and use both Vietjet and Vietnam Airlines. Cambodia Angkor Air is also good and partially owned by VN/Vietnam Airlines. Remember that Vietnam is quite strict about their visa policy and carriers will deny boarding when you don't have documentation (the other countries are not and you can buy a visa at the airport if not exempt).

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Booking Engines

So you want to pay more than 2.5% to someone else to convert the payment currency to CAD? Get a credit card that doesn't charge it, there are a few out there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,617 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Booking Engines

>>so I can avoid the 2.5% conversion rate my credit card company charges<<

If you allow a merchant to convert into CAD, the cost will be significantly more than 2.5%.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: Booking Engines

If a booking site let's you pay with a credit card in Canadian dollars when the native currency of the airline is something else that means that they are using Dynamic Currency Conversion which is way more expensive than the 2.5% that your own credit card company charges.

Many if not most online booking sites do not have live prices so the cheap price that you see is not what you are actually going to pay in the end. The intention is to make you think that you would pay less than buying direct from the airline including your 2.5% credit card fee.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Booking Engines

Thank You all SO much for the feedback, it is most appreciated. I think I am going to go with the advice of booking direct with the airline i.e. VietJet, Air Asia and Thai Smile.

I will have to check out Angkor Air as this one has not come up in my searches.

Cheers,

Tina :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
7. Re: Booking Engines

You have several airlines covering your 'regional' flights , between Thailand , Cambodia and Vietnam there are plenty of flights but often the particular route may just have a few airlines , once you know your route plan you can ask for suggestions .

Book direct with the airlines.

Also note that there are new airlines , new routes opening up all the time

Edited: 19 July 2018, 15:22
8. Re: Booking Engines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2018, 09:17

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: Booking Engines

I'm partial to Momondo for trips in Asia if you're looking for the lowest price. They tend to find results a few dollars cheaper. It does require you to have some knowledge of bag fees, so keep that in mind before booking the lowest fare.

If considering AirAsia, we found their Value Packs often made good on their name when factoring baggage and other amenities we wanted and were willing to pay for. The packs are only available on their website and only available during booking.

Edited: 13 September 2018, 09:13
Reply to: Booking Engines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted