We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

get on the plane during a lay over

3 posts
get on the plane during a lay over

I've booked a plane ticket from ZYR (train station South Brussel) to Guangzhou, China. I, myself, live in the Netherlands but because the fair were cheaper in Belgium, i booked them. The ticket i booked has a layover in Amsterdam for 16 hours. Since ZYR is a train station and the airline provides us a seat on the train from ZYR to Amsterdam. it would be more convience for me to just head to Amsterdam by myself than travel all the way to Belgium to take a train back to my own country.

Do airline allow you to get on a plane during your layover even though you didn't got on the actual departure station?

Besides this, when I return I have a layover in Amsterdam too and than fly on a plane back to Belgium International Airport. Would they allow me to just leave the airport with my luggage in Amsterdam?

8 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,725 posts
377 reviews
1. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

No, if you don't board at the start of your journey then the rest of your ticket will be cancelled. This is known as hidden city ticketing.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

Iguess this ticket is with KLM, you will need to collect your train ticket in ZYR at the ticket desk(have printout of itinerary to show) once on the Thalys you must get your ticket stamped by the conductor. In AMS you go to the check in desk/bag drop they will insist on seeing your stamped train ticket.

On the return your bags with be checked through to BRU as it is a flight,you can only get them back if you pay to reticket your flight to AMS.

I had the flight -Thalys connection recently so am sure about this

Do check your baggage allowance as the computer seems to get confused about it

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

+1 to post #2. The verification stamp is how KLM prevents massive abuse of buying tickets which are sometimes cheaper from those train stations in Belgium.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 21:14
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
4. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

So what happens if you do take the train from Brussel Zuid to Amsterdam, but no conductor comes and stamps your ticket...

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

"So what happens if you do take the train from Brussel Zuid to Amsterdam, but no conductor comes and stamps your ticket." - You wouldn't have a ticket as you needed to collect it in ZYR at the desk. Besides, I have always encountered ticket checking between Brussels and AMS.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

If no conductor comes along then go find one when the train stops , they are out on the platform with stamp in hand, otherwise ask one when boarding

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

It would have been smart to check if you could do this BEFORE booking. Because you can't do this, so now you'll have to go to Belgium.

How stupid do you think the airlines are?

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: get on the plane during a lay over

>>> it would be more convience for me to just head to Amsterdam by myself than travel all the way to Belgium to take a train back to my own country. <<<

If you wanted the convenience you should have paid for it. You can't book extra sectors to get a cheaper fare, them complain when you have to take them.

Reply to: get on the plane during a lay over
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted