We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International layover in Franfkurt

Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
International layover in Franfkurt

Hi,

We are looking at a flight from US to Kenya that goes through Frankfurt. The layover is only 1hr 15 mins. Does any one know whether we will have to go through passport control (we have US passports), and/or whether that would be enough time to make an international connection? Flight arrives in terminal 1 and leaves terminal 1, which is good.

Appreciate any thoughts!

6 replies to this topic
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
436 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International layover in Franfkurt

Normally they also check passports with international connections. In any case you will have to walk through security (you and your hand luggage will be screened, no water bottles, etc.). It takes quite an amount of time. 1.15h is doable, but you will be in a hurry. If you are in trouble just ask the other people in the line that you are allowed to move forward because otherwise you will miss the flight (everybody in Frankfurt will understand what you are going through, believe me). Also, it depends a bit of your time of travel. Say you are transiting on the first day of the school holidays, mid-morning - you will definitely not make your connection. On the other hand you might travel mid-week in the later evening - you will still have a little bit of time having passed security...

Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
436 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International layover in Franfkurt

P.S.: If your transit time has become really short (because the airplane is late), Lufthansa employees will wait at the exit of the aircraft with a sign and will process people for their next flight separately.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International layover in Franfkurt

Security screening at Frankfurt is a pain. You have to take ALL electronics out - cameras, Ereaders etc. etc.

BUT last year we had a very tight connection - on 2 tickets- so we had to pick up bags as well - and we made it within 1.5 hours.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,229 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International layover in Franfkurt

The above assumes you are on a single ticket, and don't have to collect bags (which would only be if you were on two separate bookings)

UK
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International layover in Franfkurt

Isn't it the case that passengers don't have to re-clear security at FRA if they are arriving from the USA?

I have no direct experience - am only going by what others have posted here. Under EU rules passengers don't have to re-clear security in transit from the USA (one of very few non-EU countries on the safe list), in practice they have to at many airports because of airport lay-out, but my understanding is that FRA has a sterile route for arrivals from the USA, so no security checks needed.

And I'm fairly certain that #1 is wrong about passport checks. You don't enter Germany if you're flying non-Schengen to non-Schengen. The only place where they will look at your passport is at the gate - and that's airline staff, not immigration officers.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,080 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International layover in Franfkurt

I frequently make 70-minute connections at Frankfurt that include clearing security AND Immigration. But coming from the US to Kenya (assuming on a single ticket) you will stay in transit and not need to clear Immigration. The security procedure is a pain, but it's very well organized and (in my experience anyway) doesn't take so long to get through. If you pre-prepare by taking all your electronics out of your carry-on, you'll save a bit of time.

Reply to: International layover in Franfkurt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted