We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72 hour visa or double entry visa?

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
72 hour visa or double entry visa?

Hi there,

We are hoping to travel to Lijiang from London, the current flights we are looking at are with Tianjin Airlines and China West Air with a 14hour stopover in Chongqing.

My question is, can we get the 72 hour visa free transit to explore Chongqing? And only apply for single entry visa for Lijiang?

Also does anyone know how much the Visa's cost for UK British Passport.

Many thanks in advance.

We are hoping to go in April for 2 weeks.

6 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 72 hour visa or double entry visa?

I might be misunderstanding what you are asking but Lijiang is in China so you will enter only enter China once.

If you are connecting through Chongqing that will be your point of entry into China so the 72 hour TWOV rule does not apply.

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 72 hour visa or double entry visa?

So I would need a double entry visa to explore Chongqing also?

UK
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 72 hour visa or double entry visa?

You are only entering China once so you only need a single entry visa, or are you going to another country too?

Oh I paid about £65 for my last Chinese visa but that was a couple of years ago.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 72 hour visa or double entry visa?

No. You're only entering China once. You'll be entering at Chongqing and then flying on to Lijiang. They're both in the same country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 72 hour visa or double entry visa?

Ah okay, understood now. Thank you both!

I had thought if we wanted to explore Chongqing during our layover, it counts as another entry.

Quick question also, do you know if Tianjin Airlines offer free accommodation for long stopovers?

When I went to Malaysia few years back, we had a long stopover in China and they had given us a free hotel back then using the airline Chinese Southern.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 72 hour visa or double entry visa?

Chongqing and Lijiang are Chinese cities. You need to obtain the Chinese visa before boarding the flight to Chongqing.

What you mentioned "72 hour visa" is not the visa type. It is the Transit Without Visa policy applied in the particular cities when the layover time between the scheduled arrival time of the nonstop international flight and the scheduled departure time of the nonstop international flight is less than 72 hours.

Reply to: 72 hour visa or double entry visa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted