We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Global entry and esta

Litcham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Global entry and esta

Hi all,

I have applied already for GE but now wondering if I needed to apply for an esta beforehand!! Or do I just need to get an esta for when we travel in may? Only reason haven’t done it yet is need to renew a passport first.

13 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Global entry and esta

If you're not a US Citizen you'll need an ESTA no matter what.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Global entry and esta

You do not need an ESTA to apply for Global Entry. Don’t apply for the ESTA until you’ve renewed your passport.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Global entry and esta

what does ESTA have to do with GE and vice versa? your GE won't let you into the US unless you have a visa or a visa waiver

I presume you're doing 3-4 trips to the US a year and need the GE for that -- and those are all leisure visits or noncommercial trips conventions etc

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Global entry and esta

If you're not a US Citizen you'll need an ESTA no matter what

-------

Incorrect. I'm a U.K. citizen and don't need an ESTA because I'm a US Permanent Resident (with GE)

Litcham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Global entry and esta

Sorry probably should have said I’m a uk citizen. I know I need an esta to visit and the ge is to speed up entry and exit from us. Question is, I know I will need an in date esta to get into the us but do I need one for the application of the GE?

UK
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Global entry and esta

You don’t need to have a valid ESTA to apply for GE, as long as you can get an interview appointment in the UK. You will need an ESTA to travel to the USA for an interview there.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,271 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Global entry and esta

If this is your only trip to the US, GE is an expensive way to save a small amount of time. AND depending on the airline you are flying, if it doesn't participate in pre-check, than you don't get it. BTW there are no formal immigration procedure when leaving the US, only TSA security.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
612 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Global entry and esta

Agree with rdglady if you don't travel to the US more than once or twice a year I would not go through the bother and expense. I have global entry and love it but then I have made three trips and out of the US so far this year and will make quite a few more. A lot of airports in the US, including Houston, now have gone electronic and while I used to think I saved 45 to 120 minutes each time I reentered I now think returning to Houston I might save half an hour at most.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 22:47
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Global entry and esta

GE and ESTA are not a package. In other words you don't need an ESTA to apply for GE

GE does not help you leave the US. The TSA pre part which comes with GE helps you clear security faster ONLY if the airline you fly with support TSA Pre. British Airways at this time does not. Many many other airlines from Europe and other parts of the world do

So question to you -- How often do you plan to visit or have you been visiting the US that you applied for a GE ?

You will no doubt save 30,40 minutes with GE but if you are visiting once or twice a year, what difference does that make?

Unless you are a Elite flyer or fly business or first. if you bags take 20-30 minutes to come then even if you clear GE in 30 seconds -- you have to wait for the bags.

So if you fly say 10-15 times over a 5 year period,

or

do extensive US internal flying

Then go for it by all means.

Otherwise, it does not matter.

But you have already applied for GE so why are you now asking us if you need to apply for an ESTA as well

THis is so confusing

Edited: 24 February 2018, 22:57
Litcham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Global entry and esta

Well no matter how often I travel or with which airline or to which airport,I have already applied and it’s non-refundable, but thanks for the advice.

My question is in hindsight I suppose. I.e will the application be denied as I didn’t get an esta. Or as it’s still pending, do I have time to get one if I need one for the ge. I know I will need to get one regardless when I go to the us in may but waiting to renew a passport first. BUT if I HAD to get one for the ge app I would get one now then another in few weeks with new passport.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 23:36
Reply to: Global entry and esta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted