We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should I know about Alilatia?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
What should I know about Alilatia?

I'm flying from London to Rome on Alitalia. The airline doesn't have good reviews. I don't expect a five star experience, as long as I get to my destination, that's all that matters to me. Here are some things that I've read online that stood out to me:

1. They might randomly ask you to show them the same credit card you used to purchase your tickets.If you don't have the same credit card you used to purchase your tickets, they won't let you board the plane.

2. They are very strict with carry on luggage. They will weigh and measure your bags.

Has anyone been on an Alilatia flight recently? Anything else that I should know/expect?

18 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,413 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

The biggest news is there financial situation (insolvency) which may mean your flight doesn't happen.

I've never been asked for my credit card but I'd be travelling with it anyway. It's not unique to them but an anti fraud measure.

They have weighed my hand luggage when I was checking in and then also made me put it in the fixing cage. That was quite a few years ago.

Many European ( and others for that matter) enforce size and weight restrictions. If you're compliant it shouldn't be a problem.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,851 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

Lots of people would have flown with them and written reviews. You can read the reviews of any airline:- https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Airlines

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

We flew Alitalia Business Class two years ago and they did weigh bags both in Miami and on our return from Rome.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
115 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

I flew Alitalia in November. They did not ask to see my credit card. They did not weigh my luggage; however, they did seem to gate check a LOT of bags.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
140 reviews
5. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

There is nothing wrong with both #1 and #2

#1 is because of the amount of fraud going on. All airlines reserve that right

#2 is rather self explanatory: weight load issues, and additional income for the airline. Again All airlines reserve that right.

Is that all you are concerned about?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
6. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

Yeah pretty much. I’ve never heard of a airline asking to see your credit card or being so strict with luggage size (I usually fly in the US and Mexico). I have no problem showing my credit card or carrying a small bag. I just want to be prepare with anything that might come up that I’m not used to. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
713 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

I stopped flying Alitalia years ago (well, they stopped flying from my local airport to my usual destination so...). They've always been terrible.

Lately, last summer, I had to fly from Paris to Milan and Alitalia was the most convenient flight. Once again, a negative experience: upon landing, a steward rudely gestured at me to take off my headphones for landing. If you're a frequent flyer, you'll know that in recent years it is no longer a requirement to do so (remember the old 'switch off all your electronic devices....') - now the only thing you'd have to switch off and stow away is a laptop. I was really irked by that, and by the way he couldn't even be bothered to tell me politely, in person.

The flight was ok, but given a choice, I'd always try to avoid Alitalia out of principle.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,413 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

Most airlines expect you to take headphones off for take off and landing despite them having relaxed over devices needing to be switched off.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
713 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

@AmoMondo -weird. I've been flying a lot lately (long and short haul) and that hasn't happened to me. On take-off, or rather, during the safety demonstration, yes, as they want you to pay attention. But not on landing.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: What should I know about Alilatia?

And yet it makes perfect sense. They want you to be able to hear and understand any instructions the cabin crew need to give if there is an incident during landing or taxi-ing. They also don't want headphone cables impeding any emergency evacuation.

Reply to: What should I know about Alilatia?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted