We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

New York City, New...
9 posts
Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

Later in the year I have a flight from the US to LHR on British Airways and then after landing several hours later I have a flight from LHR to Dublin on Aer Lingus. I was trying to save money with a round trip ticket and will be visiting several European countries in between, so I bought the flights separately. Will I have to go outside the airport, go through customs, recheck my bag, and re-go through security or can I just grab my bag, recheck it and hop over to the other terminal when I go to get my flight to Dublin?

14 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

You’ll need to do the whole immigration, pick up bags, drop them off, security thing. How long have you left between flights?

Separate flights may be cheaper but you bear all the risk of a missed connection.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

Once off the plane, you will have to go through immigration, collect your luggage then go through customs.

As you second flight is from a different terminal, you will have to get to that terminal, recheck your bag and go through security.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
3. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

BA don't check baggage through to final destination on separate tickets so baggage will be tagged to LHR only

London, United...
Level Contributor
917 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

With checked bags on separate tickets you will have to clear immigration, claim bags, clear customs and then transfer landside to terminal 2 for the Aer Lingus flight.

If your BA flight arrives to T3, you can walk to T2. If it arrives to T5 (more likely, and certain if you are flying BA from NYC), you’ll need to use the Heathrow Express or the Underground (subway) to get to T2.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 12:49
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
24,116 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

Hope you've left enough time between flights. Any delays (or a significant reschedule) and your onward flight could be toast.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,260 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

Hope several hours means around 4 hours?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,847 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

If you can avoid checking any luggage and just have cabin bagge only, you can transfer between terminals airside if you have your Aer Lingus boarding pass in hand. This way you will avoid the immigration check, but you will go through security again.

some will argue this is not a "connection" so you cannot use the inter-terminal "flight connection"path, but we have done this twice with no issues.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,484 posts
478 reviews
8. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

How much time do you actually have between flights? As with AmoMondo, I hope it's at least 4 hours. The average time taken for arriving passengers to get through the airport is around an hour, but some report it takes longer. Then you need time to get to the terminal where your next flight leaves, drop your bags, get through security, and make it to the gate.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
9. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

#7: "If you can avoid checking any luggage and just have cabin bagge only, you can transfer between terminals airside if you have your Aer Lingus boarding pass in hand. This way you will avoid the immigration check"

Actually you can't. If you have a connection at LHR that arrives from outside the UK and connects to a flight to Ireland, you will go though immigration at LHR because of the CTA. It's a bit of a complicated situation but it's enough to know you'll pass through immigration at LHR and then have your passport checked again in DUB.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 18:10
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,847 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change

I see. We were not going to Ireland when we did this, but to Spain. I did not realize immigration procedures were different for Ireland-bound travelers. Is that because Ireland is part of the Commom Travel Area?

Reply to: Heathrow LHR Separate Flight Plane Change
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted