We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

France
Level Contributor
318 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

Hi, I will be flying via Sydney to Papeete. I would like to use Air New Zealand and or Quantas, not Tahiti companies.

As I am coming from Bangkok, this will be a long journey for me. If I book one ticket, Sydney to Papeete , could I spend a night in Auckland where there is a stopover ? Is this going to be complicated over the Internet or should I do it by agency ? I’ve looked at all the flights, and mostly there is a long layover in Auckland. Thank you for any suggestions.my plan is

Bangkok to Sydney overnight

Sydney to Papeete with overnight in Auckland.

Same on the way back to Bangko if need be. Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

I’ve only had a quick look at this but you would be better off buying the Bangkok to Sydney flight separately from the Auckland to Papeet one.

You want to stay overnight in Sydney so you protect yourself from a bit of risk there, stop overnight on the way back too. One of the Sydney to Papeet flights on Air NZ has a 33 hour overnight layover anyway.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

Don’t forget to apply for an Australian Visa if you’re either doing seperate tickets or staying overnight there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

Check with the airlines website and see if there is an option for an overnight stopover in Auckland. If so, that will be on the same/one ticket

France
Level Contributor
318 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

Re hi, yes, where do I find these options for an overnight stopover ? And of course, I’ll need a visa for Australia and New Zealand which seems a bit of a pain ( I’m british) but can’t get around that. That is why I’ve been thinking of going through an agency . My’trip’to French Polynesia seems to be getting more complicated’, and more expensive too, but I was expecting that.,Thanks to all.

France
Level Contributor
318 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

Just a thought, when you buy a ticket with a 20/30 hour layover, do they expect you to stay in the airport for that time ? Cheers.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

A pain? Why do people think that countries immigration policies are a pain? IMO every country has the right to protect their borders.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,553 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

Using an agency won't avoid the need for visas, if visas are required to enter or transit that country. It's up to the country, as said, to make the rules to suit their own needs, and as a somebody who has the privilege of living in a first world country, travel is a luxury, you don't have to do it.

Using agencies to obtain visas can also come with a hefty fee, and some visas are free. For example, you now say you have a UK passport. So, for Australia, except for certain circumstance, you can obtain a completely free of charge visa by using the correct website and doing it all yourself. The effort takes no more than 10 minutes and you 'usually' have the visa granted within 48 hours.

For NZ, again as a British passport holder, you can spend up to 6 months there with no visa at all.

If you choose to book a through ticket with a long, long layover, there's no correct answer to what you have to do. Some countries, unless you've got a visa, you cannot leave the airport, and it's OK to stay. However, some airports closer over night, forcing you to exit the airport (complete with all your luggage) so not only do you need to get a visa but you also have to figure out what you do with all that time.

However, have you looked at multi city tickets on the same airline or airline alliance yet? Sometimes you can add your overnight stop overs at no cost, but there's not single rule on that, it depends on several factors.

SWT

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

Frequently look for flights with long connection times so we can get some sleep before going on, recently had 19 hours in Lima before the last leg of our trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

You can purchase the ticket from Air New Zealand, which will transit in Auckland. Just select multi cities and then follow the guide from the page. You can see the overnight layover ticket and the price.

Besides, you can have one more option to purchase the separate tickets as you will stay overnight in Auckland.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,596 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .

I have recently booked flights from Canada to Tanzania via Amsterdam and Cape Town to Canada via Amsterdam. We are stopping over in Amsterdam for two nights going and three on our return. Bacause all this is on KLM I could do it on one ticket. It may have cost more than not having the overnights but it was worth it to us.

I used Google flights and information about flight alliances to figure out that KLM was the way to go. Then I booked direct with them.

Reply to: Can I do a stopover of one night on one ticket .
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted