We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
United Airlines

I am traveling united for the first time and I'm flying longhaul international. Any tips or thoughts on United? Just want to be ready for anything I should prepare for that they might do differently.

10 replies to this topic
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines

I've never had a problem with United, and it's not on my list of airlines to avoid. I find a lot of their international flights don't have much in the way of entertainment systems, so load up the tablet with movies or bring a good book.

Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed. They get you to where you need to go. Nothing more.

Edited: 23 February 2018, 05:13
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines

Differently from whom or what There are hundreds of reviews on TA that you can read. Otherwise go with the flow. Coach is coach is coach

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,524 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines

Reviews of all airlines - https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Airlines

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
641 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines

OP from your previous posts, I assume your Dulles to London flight is UA924. I've previously flown this and will be again this summer.

If you have not yet done so, I would recommend down loading the United app onto your phone, and ticking the various boxes to receive notifications about your flight. You'll also be able to check-in for your flight and receive a mobile boarding pass.

This flight is currently flown by a 787-8. It should have wifi available for purchase, if that sort of thing is important. Otherwise the flight will have both seatback video on demand entertainment and personal device entertainment through the United app.

Supper will be served about an hour into the flight, and a snack of croissant and jam, fruit and yogurt about an hour before landing (well they called it a snack but it was a more than sufficient breakfast). The food is not bad, actually. Just remember that it is a pre-made reheated afair, of the same quality that you'd find in a ready made reheated grocery store meal you'd find at the deli counter.

Otherwise, there's really nothing to it, just sit back, watch a couple movies, relax and maybe even sleep a little bit. And enjoy the flight.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines

Good advice above, and especially the UA App. I find it to be one of the better airline Apps.

On the UA Website, set up all Alerts. We have those on text, phone and e-mail.

Then on App, as time for flight draws close, so to Flight Status and turn on Push Notifications. I even go to “Where is this plane coming from? >” and Push Notification there too, so I know when my plane has arrived, for my outgoing flight.

If interested, I have done dozens of UA long-haul Flight Reviews, though not IAD-LHR, plus 100’s of Domestic short and medium-haul Reviews - Many with Photos, which might be helpful.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines

Here is link to my Airline Reviews, and most are for UA: https:/…The_Loup_Garou

Best of luck,

Hunt

Oops - that link only takes one to my profile. Just click on Reviews, then Airlines, and you are there. Thought if I did URL for Airline Reviews, it would translate, but clearly it does not. Sorry.

Edited: 23 February 2018, 14:48
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines

You should have a screen for entertainment on a long haul flight like yours but download the United app as well as it may have added entertainment options .

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines

I just had 2 UA cross country flights, lots of movies, including many latest feature films, more than enough to kill 12-14 hours, no music. There is nothing you need to do to prepare, except some extra snacks, I always have multiple bags of snacks.

Level Contributor
1,466 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines

I fly United all the time. I agree with downloading the app to your iPad and or phone. I have had no issues with them.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines

My last flight on United was a good one, plenty to watch on the United app and the flight was time and our luggage was delivered quickly.

Reply to: United Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted