We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

Los Angeles...
10 posts
1 review
6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

Hello,

Does anyone here has experience flying out of FCO early in the morning? I am flying from LAX-FCO on Norwegian Air and the return flight departure time got moved up by two hours, to 5:55 am.

We will be in Terminal 3, and I have read that that terminal closes at night? I contacted Norwegian about when I could check in that morning and they said the desk opens 4 hours before the flight. FCO's twitter told me T3 is always open. That doesn't sound right, based on what I've read elsewhere online and on TA. Can anyone corroborate? Or knows otherwise?

If T3 doesn't open until 4/4:30 am, I was also wondering: if I get to the airport at 4 for an international flight departing at 6 am, will two hours be enough time?

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,268 posts
1. Re: 6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

I would want a little more than 2 hrs for an International departure, but that's me. I would suggest checking in person on arrival from LAX (if time allows) and paying a visit to T3 departures for a coffee so you know your way around for the return.

FCO has an 04:15 departure that appears to be daily, so FCO is open, although it may not be from T3 you'll still get a coffee ;-)

Here's the departures from FR24 https:/…departures it doesn't look that busy at 06:00

Here's the official board it may show the gate no's later. https://www.roma-airport.com/departures.php

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,488 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: 6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

Boy, that's a really early departure time for a fllight like that. Is that a nonstop flight or are you flying to somewhere in Europe first before connecting to your long-haul flight (in that case, I could better understand the early departure). Also, if it's the latter, which is more like a domestic flight in the US, then 2 hours ought to be enough. In any event, it has been my experience on very early departures that even if the terminal is open & airline checkin is open, the security clearance often is not open, so you get to stand in a long line until they open at 5 or so, so be prepared. I have stayed at the Airport HIlton at FCO and you can walk to Terminal 3 from the hotel (there is also a shuttle service). I recommend that hotel if you are looking for a place to stay. There is no place closer to the airport.

Italy
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
3. Re: 6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

Normally there is something open in the T1 food court all night. Coffee etc isn't a problem. Finding a spot to sit can be

Los Angeles...
10 posts
1 review
4. Re: 6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

Yes, I prefer to get to the airport 3 hours before an international flight, but I was worried my group and I will show up at 3 am and the terminal/check in will be closed. That is a really idea to stop at T3 when we arrive — I hadn't thought of that! I think we will do that. (Our flight from LAX to Rome also got pushed up by two hours, so now we have some extra time.)

QQ2, I agree, so early — originally our flight was supposed to leave at 8 am. It's nonstop to Los Angeles, not sure why it got moved :(( you mentioned security clearance is usually not open until 5 and there is a line prior to its opening, would you recommend arriving the normal 3 hours prior to departure?

nzentena, I hope so! Is T3 easy to access from T1?

Italy
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
5. Re: 6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

A short walk next door. If I don't look at the signs I wouldn't even notice the difference.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: 6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)

Personally I usually only get to the airport 2 hours before anyway if I’ve done OLCI and I’m just doing bag drop but that early in the morning I definitely wouldn’t bother with 3 hours before. I can’t see the airport being very busy at that time which means bag drop and security should be quick.

Reply to: 6 am flight out of FCO (Rome)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted