We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

I fly a few times a year so maybe more regular fliers know this but I’m sharing my experience to hopefully inform others.

I hardly ever take out my driver’s license so I expected it to be there when I arrived at the airport. To my sickened, panicked surprise, it wasn’t. I had no idea where it was. I could not for the life of me remember when I last got it out. I wasn’t even going to try inside but my dad, who had driven me to the airport, convinced me to go ask and he would wait.

Fortunately, my home airport (SDF) rarely has a long security line so I waited a few minutes and then asked the Pre-Check TSA (since nobody was in her line) if anything could be done. She asked if I had anything with my name on it like credit cards or such. I had credit cards and health insurance card. I said my husband could send a picture of my passport but they said that wouldn’t work. I asked them if my work ID (I work for a freight airline) would have been sufficient and she said yes. Fortunately, I didn’t have to go home and get it. She said I would have to go through advanced screening. I walked back and told my Dad and got my bags. I was carry-on only and had my boarding pass on an app. I’m not sure what the process would have been if I had had to go to the counter and check bags.

I went through normal security and then they pulled me to the side and searched through my bags, pulling everything out and swabbing items for residue. They tested the swabs and their gloves.

Then they had to give me a thorough pat down and tested those gloves. The TSA agents were friendly and understanding and I of course didn’t complain one bit about what needed to be done. They said it happens all the time. I had to go through the same process for the flight home and had a similar experience. Maybe added and additional 10-15 minutes to my time but again, not at major airports.

FYI, I finally remembered (on my way home) that I had been rear-ended last month and when the cop gave me back my stuff, I had shoved everything back in the glove compartment, including my driver’s license. Whew!

Hope this can help anyone that might have a last minute ID mishap.

Edited: 22 February 2018, 13:24
6 replies to this topic
New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

Oh God, I can't believe I misspelled "flying" in the title.

Level Contributor
365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

No worry, we are not made perfect. But misspell, no ID, one more strike and you're OUT.

Thanks for sharing your misadventure.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,942 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

Glad you made it. What about the return flight? Have you taken it yet?

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

Thank you!

Yes, I flew home from PIE. It's a small airport and the experience was similar.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

Good to know, I've always wondered what would happen.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID

https:/…identification spells it all out.

Reply to: Fying Domestic When You've Lost Your ID
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted