We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

Surat, India
6 posts
Save Topic
Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

I am a student, intending to travel from Ahmedabad to Toronto, Canada via Jetairways on 18th of April. My query is that for this journey the connecting flights are from London, Heathrow Airport. So do I need a Transit Visa for the UK? Or I can travel without it and just pass throw the airport terminals? For the onward journey, my terminal is changed in London from 4 to 2. Please advice.

18 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

It's your responsibility to check the official sites.

Here is the official UK Government site which is easy to use.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

It looks like traveling to Canada on a valid Canadian Visa means you don’t need a transit visa but make sure you verify this yourself.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
961 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

You usually only need a transit visa if you want to leave the airport as you have a long layover.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

"You usually only need a transit visa if you want to leave the airport as you have a long layover."

=========

Nope. wrong.

According to the UK Government website linked to in #1 (assuming) Indian citizens traveling to Canada on a valid Canadian Visa can can leave the airport at the discretion of the UK Border (immigration officer).

That's why it's very important to check the requirements on a trusted site, in this case the (very helpful) UK Government website, and not rely on "advice" from strangers which like #2 (however well meaning) can be wrong.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
961 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

I agree you should check the government website. And I did say usually.... I wasn’t saying always. Trip advisor isn’t a good medium for customs/border questions for this reason.

Surat, India
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

Thank you for linking the website of UK transit. On the very last question it asks:

Will you pass through UK border control?

I dont need to leave the airport, no need to collect bags just have to keep my handbag with me as the check in luggage will be handled directly by the Jetairlines. I have a layover of just 1hour and 50 minutes so my flight leaves on same calender date when I will be arriving. So I pressed NO for passing the border control.

The next page it mentions that you are exempt if you have a visa for Canada and I do, I have a temporary resident visa of study permit with multiple entries.

So I think I don't need a Transit for the UK.

Edited: 22 February 2018, 11:56
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
682 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

Just wanna know if you will arrive in London with Jet Airways (using terminal 4) and transfer to the flight to Toronto by Air Canada (using terminal 2). Better to contact Jet Airways and see if you can collect Air Canada boarding pass in Ahmadabad, and then contact the UK embassy to check if you need the visa to transit in London.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

"You usually only need a transit visa if you want to leave the airport as you have a long layover."

I would not even say that is "usually" true. There are two types of UK transit visa that can be required depending on ones nationality. One group of countries requires a transit visa for their citizens even when remaining airside (the direct airside transit visa or DATV). There is another group of countries whose citizens only require a transit visa if the person needs to cross the UK border (the visitor in transit visa).

So I wouldn't say one is necessarily more usual than the other or that it's good advice to even say that usually you don't need a transit visa when remaining airside. Everyone should use the link provided by USBT in #1 to check each case individually.

Edited: 22 February 2018, 16:44
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

Is this all booked on one ticket or separate tickets? Your itinerary doesn’t show on the Jet Airways web site. Who did you book with?

It may be useful to post your exact itinerary.

UK
Level Contributor
8,726 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

For the purpose of the concession it doesn't actually matter if it's booked on one ticket or two. All that is required is to have an onward flight before midnight on the day after arrival.

If baggage is checked through the OP can connect airside. If it isn't he can go landside to collect and re-check it, under the visa-free concession.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?

"I am a student, intending to travel from Ahmedabad to Toronto, Canada via Jetairways on 18th of April. My query is that for this journey the connecting flights are from London, Heathrow Airport. "

===========

Rahul,

What is your exact itinerary? Jet Airways doesn't fly from Ahmedabad to Heathrow. Air India does. If you're flying with Jet you'll have another connection at either Delhi or Mumbai.

It doesn't matter regarding the connection at Heathrow, assuming the AC and 9W flights are on the same ticket (and those airlines are partners). You'll take the Flight Connections bus to T2 and reclear security. If you don't get your AC boarding pass issued in India you'll go to the transfer desk in T2 after security and collect it there.

Reply to: Is Transit Visa Required at London(Heathrow) Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted