We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying movie camera on board

Midwest
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Carrying movie camera on board

I have a movie camera we need to bring on a flight from MSP to LAS McCarran.

I cannot imagine checking it. I need to carry it on to protect it. What are the options? Has anyone had trouble bringing a movie camera on board, stowed overhead, I assume?

Thanks.

15 replies to this topic
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
113 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

Does the camera fit into a standard carryon size bag? If so, then you can either store it in the bins above the seats or beneath the seat in front of you.

If it does not fit the size parameters for carryon luggage for the airline which you are flying, you may be required to check the camera. Consult your airline's webpage for their guidelines for carryon sizes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,451 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

Are we talking about a large professional camera or one used by visitors to shoot vlogs home movies

What issue are you worried about ?

There is no restriction on normal electronics

Italy
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

If you're a pro get a hardcase from B&H or similar. Pelican usually being the go to brand. If it's a larger camera and case get a seat for it.

If it's smaller I assume it'll fit in your carry on. There are padded cases you can get for almost anything. Combine that with your soft clothing and short of a truck driving over it you'll be fine. If you're worried about the truck then Pelican.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

More details. The camera make and model. Extra batteries? Extra accessories? Do you have a case? The case make and model. The advice to purchase a Pelican case and/or seat on the plane for the camera is very good advice. Shipping in advance is one options also. Be very careful with the overhead storage. Items move around quite a bit. Heavy items move around quite a bit. Any number of laptops are destroyed in the overhead.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,663 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

a movie camera? do they still make these for home use?

if it is a professional unit you should pack it properly and check it in as a fragile item. size would not be a carry-on size. your airline will have info on carrying such equipment. whatever you do, make sure that it is insured.

Midwest
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

Sorry for the poor wording. This is a professional movie camera. It has a padded case 8" wide 17" long 10" tall. I'm concerned about damage or loss. I'd rather have it in view and under my control at all times.

Edited: 20 February 2018, 15:41
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

If the size is within your airlines carry on luggage then the camera case will be ok to take on board, although it is part of your carry on allowance. Depending on what type of batteries though could be an issue, if they are Li-Ion batteries which are above the recommended power to take on board you won't be able to take those.

Midwest
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

How do I learn about the power restrictions for batteries? There are 2, each about 2" x 2" x 3" maybe.

Edited: 20 February 2018, 16:22
Italy
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

It's not the size but the power rating

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
39,958 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carrying movie camera on board

Look on the airlines website for information on items prohibited in luggage.

Reply to: Carrying movie camera on board
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted