We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight in South America

london
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
27 reviews
Flight in South America

Hi All,

I am going to South America next April and have started looking at flights this year for rough guidelines.

One of my flights is Cusco-Lima-Buenos Aires and it so expensive for a single, £600!

Is this normal, are there any sales, can I use my Avios?

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Flight in South America

If you are looking at 2018 prices, it may have absolutely no bearing on what 2019 prices will be. Flights in April 2018 are about eight weeks away; it's possible any seats in the lower fare classes are sold out now.

You'd have to check to see if you could use your Avios.

UK
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Flight in South America

You can use Avios assuming there is availability but it looks like you need to book the legs separately. In total it’s 14500 Avios and about £25.

https:/…reward-flights - click on Reward Flight Calculator

If you want this to be booked as a single ticket you may need to give BA a call and ask them once you have found the flights you want.

Edited: 19 February 2018, 21:11
London, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
439 reviews
3. Re: Flight in South America

Flight in South America is expensive. I have travelled to the region 7 times now and I found that internal flight in the region is expensive. The problem is not many competition in the area. There are only LATAM (merger between LAN and TAM), Avianca and Aerolinas Argentina for major airlines. There are smaller airlines like Sky or Gol but still they are also expensive. Again, it’s about less competition in the area. I’m not sure booking early would help. I usually travelled to the region in Nov or christmas time and I booked flights in Jan but the price difference is negligible.

You probably can use Avios on LATAM but I doubt the availability is there if you try to book regional flight. If you fly within Chile, might be worth looking at LATAM pass. Also, what I found is travelling one way is really expensive even for short haul so if you can, try to book return trip.

Good luck on your planning. I might be biased since I love South America but the cost will worth it.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Flight in South America

Try booking your internal flights with your international flights.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Flight in South America

I am seeing LON - LIM / CUZ - BUE - LON for £900 or less.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,739 posts
118 reviews
6. Re: Flight in South America

Like I put on your post in the Peru forum, international flights within South America are expensive because there's little competition.

I would agree with post 4, see if you can book the entire itinerary as a multi city itinerary. Sometimes that is cheaper than booking the middle leg separately.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: Flight in South America

I have found LATAM to be about the best way to use Avios, since there are none of the ridiculous surcharges that BA imposes. Due to some glitch, I have even earned Avios on reward flights. That said, I agree that the OP should consider booking the entire trip ex LHR on one ticket.

london
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Flight in South America

Hi - My complete itinerary is LGW-Lima-Cusco-Lima-Buenos Aires-Iguazu-Rio-LHR

I am planning on using my BA 2 for 1 voucher from LGW-Lima and Rio-LHR so there may be some issues booking my internal flights with my international flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
439 reviews
9. Re: Flight in South America

Yes, if you mean it's companion voucher, you can't do it as it's only valid for flight operated by BA.

UK
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Flight in South America

Indeed, on a 2-4-1 voucher you will not be able to add on non-BA operated flights. You can still use Avios but you will need to take care that the connections give you enough time on separate tickets.

Reply to: Flight in South America
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted