We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

Hi guys, I booked my flight from Houston to Nairobi for August 8th and I booked it back in November of 2017, my original layover in Doha would be about an hour and 30 minutes but a few days ago I checked and it turned out to be 15 minutes. My flight time did chance and I did accept it but I absolutely had no idea that the layover would be 15 minutes as logically I thought that was impossible, because it has to be 45 minutes or more. Anyways I called them and they told me I would need to rebook or make a complaint, this is very unfair and will possibly ruin my travel plans as I do not even have money to pay for it, any advice would help, thanks

17 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

My flight time did chance and I did accept it but I absolutely had no idea that the layover would be 15 minutes as logically I thought that was impossible, because it has to be 45 minutes or more

==========

15 minutes is an impossible and "illegal" connection. The minimum connection time is indeed 45 minutes. Call again and explain that to another - hopefully savvy - agent.

You did book directly with Qatar, right?

Note that schedule changes are very common for flights booked so far in advance. Indeed there's plenty of scope for another change between now and August. So don't be too worried, yet.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

When they sent you the re-done itinerary, you should have been able to see the flight times and have seen that they layover was only 15 minutes. They will probably use this against you. (I don't agree with them, that this is acceptable, but they may use this fact to your disadvantage).

Edit: As mentioned above, the flight schedule may change again, so, you may not have to worry (yet). I would also second the advice to try again with another agent, who is hopefully more understanding.

Edited: 23 January 2018, 01:40
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

I only recall seeing the departure time which was changed to an hour earlier, I never did see the layover, nor did I think the layover could be 15 minutes, logically it does not make sense either, I never thought of it. I knew the layover could be only 45 minutes or greater, it's not fair but I don't know what to do either. I was told to make a complaint on the Qatar Airways website but was told to contact the reservations department who in return told me to make another complaint on the website. If this is illegal could I possibly contact any aviation authority who could help me dispute this, as this is not fair at all.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,593 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

'If this is illegal could I possibly contact any aviation authority who could help me dispute this, as this is not fair at all.' I don't want to second-guess USBT but in this case I'd say 'legal' doesn't mean an issue at law but one with respect to the airline's stated terms and conditions and conditions of carriage.

Rather than looking for the nearest lawyer there is a better way to spend your time. Ideally you will have booked directly with the airline as that will make the process more straightforward; if not and you used a third party website and would like advice then let us know which third party you used.

In terms of IAH to DOH, have a look at the ticket you originally booked and note the fare bucket(s) of the affected sectors - this should be at the Manage My Booking-type page of the airline. Go to the airlines' websites and look for alternative routings that suit your needs and have tickets available in the fare bucket. You'll need to make dummy bookings for your travel dates to ensure there are seats available in those fare buckets for the dates you wish to travel.

Don't search only with the original carrier(s) booked but look at others in the oneworld alliance as there may be availability that suits with a different carrier. Look for flights at https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ which could help speed up the search.

Note the flight details of the new routing then call QR. Tell them you don't accept the changes but would like to change the routing from A-B-C to X-Y-Z. The agent will likely check that there is availability corresponding to the ticket you originally booked, and if there is should be able to make the change to allow for a 'legal' connection in DOH.

Yes, this will involve time and effort on your part, but the time you spend looking will save having to stay on hold with the airline while they search for alternatives that may suit.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

Hi, I booked directly from the airline. I have resolved the issue with the airline already. I contacted QA the first time and it was a lady agent who was making me pay, I don't know if she was trying to cause me trouble, wasnt having a good day, or what, anyways after I read some replies I contacted QA again, and it was a man, whom I explained the situation and happily changed my reservation without questions for no fee. just wanted to ask if agents screw around with customers? thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

also the only downside is that my reservation went from a 1 hour layover to a 15 min to a 9 hour layover in Doha, but can't complain.

Level Contributor
1,446 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

Glad you got it resolved but why point out that one agent was a lady and then other a man. It makes no difference.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

Talha, some agents are more agreeable and sympathetic that others, that's all. Also, I think the 9hr layover is a great payoff to ensure you will not miss your flight!

Happy travels :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

I don't want to second-guess USBT but in this case I'd say 'legal' doesn't mean an issue at law but one with respect to the airline's stated terms and conditions and conditions of carriage.

==========

It's all a moot point now but yes TP that's exactly what I meant, which is why I put the word "illegal" in inverted commas. In this case the term "legal/illegal" connection is one that the airline either allows or doesn't allow to be booked on one ticket.

Glad you got it sorted.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,593 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover

'just wanted to ask if agents screw around with customers?' Not in my experience.

However. In future should you speak to someone who is less than helpful then stop the conversation, thank them and hang up. Wait 30 minutes and dial again. It doesn't matter whether it's a woman or a man, and they're not looking to 'screw around with customers' but some telephone workers are limited in what they can offer for support. Some agents are willing to think laterally and look for other ways to address a matter and others can't or won't do this.

Longer wait in DOH notwithstanding, it's a decent outcome so that's all right then.

Reply to: Qatar airways - unfairly making me rebook - 15 min layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted