We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
75 reviews
Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

I have enough points to cover one roundtrip ticket via my airline credit card and then purchase a second ticket directly from the travel airline the points ticket is booked on.

Are there any risks to doing this? It seems straight-forward, but I've never used points before, so just trying to make sure this doesn't blow up.

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

I have done something similar on Alaska Airlines before. You can ask them to link the reservations in their system after you have made them. Possible downside is that even then the airline may not recognize that you are traveling together. This usually only means that you may have to work a little harder at seat selection.

San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

Okay. Thanks.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

Depending on cost it might make more sense doing 2 “one way” tickets for points and then 2 “one way” tickets on cash. This protects the record ( you won’t be split up in a idb or reroute) and allows the companion to share your status ( like for selecting free seats)

Plus it allows you to price the cheapest one way f 2 points tickets are available on both flights.

San Diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
75 reviews
4. Re: Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

Thanks.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

We did this on our last trip to Europe. Do as others have suggested and call the airline to link both reservations. Also, keep a close eye on both reservations in case of schedule changes. These are usually processed by a computer and the system may not seat you together or even put you on two different flights.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
118 reviews
6. Re: Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash

If these are airline frequent flier miles rather than points with a credit card then there's no issue doing it at all. You make two separate reservations, one with the miles and one with cash. Then you call the airline and tell them to link the two reservations. And like post 3 said, depending on the route it may make more sense to book the two one ways in one direction with miles and the two one ways in the other direction with cash. This would depend on the cost for each one way flight in points and miles. You'll have to compare both options and see which costs less.

I assume you have actual airline miles since you referred to an airline credit card. But if these are credit card points on a credit card travel program then it will depend on the program. On some you just book the travel arrangements normally using the card and then use the points to erase the charge from your statement.

Reply to: Buying one ticket w/ points, the companion ticket w/ cash
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted