We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
6 reviews
Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

Delta's full statement is here.

…delta.com/delta-introduces-enhanced-require…

In short, while Delta can't completely ban emotional support animals, it's going to require that they be registered. As well as the "emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animal Request form which requires a letter prepared and signed by a doctor or licensed mental health professional", the passenger must provide.

1. a signed Veterinary Health Form and/or an immunization record (current within one year of the travel date).

2. a "signed Confirmation of Animal Training form"

All these must be provided to Delta’s Service Animal Support Desk via Delta.com at least 48 hours in advance of travel.

I guess this is going to clamp down on pax just showing up at the airport with their animal and a piece of paper signed by any old "doctor".

53 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

Connecting through DFW recently, it seemed every 20th passenger was traveling with a dog. It's really gotten out of hand and unfair to legit service dogs IMHO.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,833 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

Roll my eyes . I agree it feels like a flight with my family and other animals :-) . and I love dogs. but they are all over now -- at times they smell and that is what gets me more than anything else.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 16:50
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

Good to see this. I am amazed at the number of dogs running around airports, who are obviously not trained service dogs.

Now, if my local Safeway would only follow their posted rules about "emotional support" animals.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

They had to do something - it was getting badly abused. But they are still going to have to contend with the fakes, like this https://therapypet.org/…

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

I'm glad that I'm not a landlord having to contend with this!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
658 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

I applaud Delta. Anyone that has been around an actual service dog, knows these professional working animals are not and have never been a problem. The problem is increasingly the people that game the system to impose their often misbehaving pets onto everyone else.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

"They had to do something - it was getting badly abused. But they are still going to have to contend with the fakes, like this https://therapypet.org/…"

=============

Requiring the passenger to provide the ESA letter 48 hours before the flight gives Delta time to research it and spot the fakes.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,907 posts
1,791 reviews
8. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

Well, there goes my “emotional support” hippo...

I would expect UA to follow soon.

I love dogs (most), and cats (many), but agree that it’s getting to a tipping point.

Hunt

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,668 posts
106 reviews
9. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

Dash it!

I was hoping to take my pair of albino hedgehogs to Cyprus in a few days time ..

I can’t imagine how they’ll cope without me for a week.

Doesn’t emotional support work both ways?

I’m bereft, positively bereft I tell you...but maybe I could take my ESA camel 🐪 and hope that nobody gets the hump?

Will it fit into the overhead bin for carry-on?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
10. Re: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals

DL already had some rules for ESAs, including advance notice, but they didn't enforce them.

They should also limit the number per person. One should be enough, don't you think? We were on a flight last year where one woman had 3 yippy little ESAs. THREE!

Reply to: Delta introduces new rules for emotional support animals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted