We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Hi all,

I’m looking at some tickets Sydney -Rome for a family of 4. We are down to 2 options:

China airline Premium Economy (Sydney -Taiwan- Rome)

Korean Airlines Economy (Sydney-Seoul-Rome)

Price is about the same. Which one would you pick?

Also has anyone travelled the Economy or Premium Economy and can give their opinion?

We have flown Korean Airlines before in Economy and thought it was ok.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Always fly the most comfortable class you can afford! China Airlines has some incredible deals in premium economy (and business class) from Sydney to Europe. As you note, PE is sometimes as cheap as other airlines' economy class. Their PE is very good (proper PE with separate cabin, and wider seats. Not just economy with legroom) and transiting in Taipei is fairly straightforward. It's also an interesting city for a stopover if you want to break the trip.

So while my experience of economy class on Korean matches yours - not too bad so far as cattle class is concerned - it's a complete no brainer to fly in more comfort in PE with China Airlines for such a long trip.

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Thanks ByronMagik! I am thinking the same as you, but hearing from other point of views is also great :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Foxiess what price are you getting? Best prices and schedules I have found for that flight are with Qatar but I could be persuaded to China or Korea if it was significantly cheaper

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Nozzie, China Airlines is currently advertising return fares from East Coast cities to Europe in Premium Economy for $1500 - $1700 - which as OP says is comparable to many economy fares. Though of course economy class can often be had for around $1000 if one flies mid-week, low season.

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Yes guys that’s correct. I’m using Skyscanner and prices for 4 of us approx $6100-6300 Premium Economy. Economy is approx $4000 China airlines and around $5800 Korean or Asiana.

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Be sure to go directly to the China Airlines website to book. Skyscanner is a useful search tool, but often links you to questionable online travel agents who are ok 95% of the time but can be disastrous if anything unexpected happens.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,147 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

That's right. Use Skyscanner to get an overview if you like, but always book directly with the airline.

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing

Thanks all.

Reply to: Flights Sydney to Rome help choosing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted