We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,102 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

Well you can't call him just another inexperienced flier!

…boardingarea.com/2018/01/16/buzz-aldrin-mis…

When I saw OMAAT's headline ("Houston we have a problem") I thought oh no not United again. But this one was about Delta.

23 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

I wonder what the problem was.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,394 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

Now, during his years of “service,” did he accrue FF miles?

That should be some status.

It was many years ago, when my wife’s luggage did a “walk about,” that Frank Borman rang my doorbell one Sunday morning, with wife’s delayed luggage. He accepted coffee, with me and my Bulldog.

Buzz has not accepted the invitation yet, but wife’s luggage has not gone missing for a long time.

Go get ‘me Buzz!

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

I wonder what the problem was.

==========

He'd booked Basic Economy using Cheapoair and wasn't allowed to take his spacesuit onboard?

Hunt, if he was awarded frequent flier miles for his famous flights (for actual miles flown) he'd have made lifetime GS in 1969. Though they were likely calculated by the direct route only, ignoring all the circling of the destination, so he's only eligible for E+ at check in. 😆

Edited: 17 January 2018, 05:10
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

And now the serious reply to ..,,

"I wonder what the problem was."

There's a comment in the post I linked to from an eyewitness (Sam) who didn't know who he was (at the time) and says he was waiting for "some pass for assistance to get through security".

Wheelchair assistance? In which case it's either the airport at fault and/or perhaps Buzz for not booking it in advance. And late in the video he looked as though he'd have been able to walk through security if necessary.

England, United...
Level Contributor
15,979 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

That is just so sad, when someone the world has literally looked up to turns into a grumpy old man and gets bolshie with check-in staff....very sad indeed.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

Nothing really happened, just because the person is famous, it is getting blown out of proportion. It that would have been "Joe six pack", nobody would care.

5 minutes before departure he states that he is waiting for 20 minutes. Hence he was there 25 minutes before departure, and that was likely too late.

Staff of Delta is acting very professional and cool.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 07:07
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,703 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

Buzz Aldrin is not a celebrity, he was an astronaut and national hero, a military officer and 33rd degree Freemason. It is disrespectful to call Buzz Aldrin a celebrity, which nowadays often is someone famous for being famous with no real contribution. They now casually call people heroes, but Buzz Aldrin was a real hero, the right stuff.

Delta should treat him accordingly.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,253 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

"Delta should treat him accordingly."

Do you mean call back a flight that had already departed so he could get on it? Seriously?

The Delta employee treated him with the utmost courtesy even when he was ranting.

And in the end he wouldn't even criticise Delta.

It's happened to all of us, hero, celebrity or just plain Joe. Travel can be frustrating.

But Buzz Aldrin does qualify as a celebrity in my book. Nothing disrespectful in calling him that. We all know he's famous for much more than just being famous.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

"Hence he was there 25 minutes before departure"

What makes you think that he didn't arrive far earlier than that? The only thing I know about the timing is that the article quotes him as saying that he'd been "waiting 20 minutes for somebody to solve a 2 minute problem."

"Buzz Aldrin is not a celebrity"

ce·leb·ri·ty

noun

a famous person.

the state of being well known.

Of course they should never have reached that point, but even Paris Hilton and the Kardashians are celebrities. Buzz Aldrin deserves his fame, even if he was just doing his job.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin

<<Delta should treat him accordingly.>>

What would you expect? Holding back an aircraft? Delaying other flights? Hold on, maybe there is another VIP then getting upset because his flight is late.

Or even reducing safety and security rules or just normal procedures? Does not seem right as well.

Plus, we do not even know what the problem and the cause was.

I deeply believe in democracy and equal rights and that one should respect laws and rules. And I am convinced that Buzz Aldrin would agree. Part of his achievement is based on him being highly trained and disciplined and that he could trust that other people would perform their job as they were trained and told.

So I politely disagree with your statement. And I am convinced he would as well. Why, because he knows that things can and sometimes do go wrong and that the solution is a plan B.

Flying is public transportation. If that idea is not acceptable then one has to fly in private aircrafts.

Reply to: Celebrity ranters on airlines, part 94 - Buzz Aldrin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted