We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
29 reviews
Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

I am here today to share my terrible experience. I bought a "used like new" Travelpro 22" carry on at Amazon, and decided to use it for a family trip to Chile. Everything was working like a charm, I did enjoy the trip. But when I was at the airport to take the return flight, the handle got stuck at the highest position, I did try to unstuck it to no joy, it refused to get down. It all happened at the last minute, so I couldn't do much, I asked but was told that carry-on couldn't get into the plane like this. I had to get my clothes and stuff out of the carry-on, redistribute that content and abandon the piece at the airport. My fault? What would you have done? It was the flight or the piece!

20 replies to this topic
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,173 posts
1 review
1. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

I would have either purchased a new bag at the airport or given the contents to my traveling companions if possible. I don't know what you expected the airline to do - of course the carry-on couldn't be used if the handles were sticking out - how would it even fit into an overhead bin?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
1,074 reviews
2. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

did you try WD 40 and or silicone spray ?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,092 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

A few years ago I had a similar experience, although the handle was only halfway extended, not fully. I wrapped the handle and checked the bag - and it survived intact.

Although after the fact and what must have been a frustrating situation, the cause may have been that the handles extending into the bag may have been slightly bent or that the push bar mechanism to raise or lower the handle may have been cracked or broken. Some Travelpro bags have 'bumpers' on the rear of the bag to reduce the potential of damage to the handles, but the push bars are usually plastic and will eventually give up the ghost.

If the bag couldn't be checked as it was then there weren't many other options but to leave it behind.

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

I really felt like the dumbest person in the world but I had not much time to look for options, my flight was closing doors already. I see I was not the only one making history though.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

Re #2: do you routinely travel with WD 40 and/or silicone spray?! If so, what do you do with these liquid chemicals after you've checked in your hold luggage? Given that you'd have to take them with you onto the plane (which means going through security!) if they are going to be of any use to you at the point when you finally have to collapse the handle on rolling cabin baggage ...

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,866 posts
6. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

This is another reason why being at the airport early and at your gate early is always better than getting there at the last moment. You can't possibly anticipate every reason you might need extra time to fix a problem at the gate, but if you've left yourself no time when the unexpected happens, you may be stuck with a solution you won't like.

Italy
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
7. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

Some cases the lining unzips and that gives you access to the handle.

I was on a flight last year and the passenger put in the overhead like that with the handle extended.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
1,769 reviews
8. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

Given the time, which it sounds like you were running out of), i’d Do the above suggested - quick trip to airport baggage shop.

Better luck in the future,

Hunt

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

You made this story look funny for me now!!

I was expecting something obvious I forgot but no, just sound a laugh.

Thanks.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma

Short if sitting on the handle and bouncing on it to force it down, can’t think what else you could have done.

I guess that’s why there are always luggage shops in airports, for those unfortunate to have a luggage malfunction and no time to fix it.

Reply to: Carry on with a stuck-handle dilemma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted