We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs declaration

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Customs declaration

I will be flying from Dublin to JFK (pre-clearance) and onwards to Carribean for a week then a return to US (also from a pre-clearance airport).

A coupe of items I will have declared in Dublin will not have been opened on my return to the US - will I have to declare them again?

14 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs declaration

I would suggest that it is better to declare something if you are in doubt.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs declaration

How can you declare the same thing twice?

Edited: 16 January 2018, 15:01
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs declaration

Definitely declare them just to be safe. In reality, once you hit the US, you can go anywhere with your item(s) and customs knows that, so I would just be open an honest. If they're allowed items, it's a non-issue to say you have them, but a potentially big issue if you get caught having not.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs declaration

<<How can you declare the same thing twice?>>

Well, the OP is entering the country on a second, separate occasion with something that the CBP requires them to declare, so of course the declaration should be made the second time. In fact it's unlawful not to.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,481 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs declaration

Are we talking about declaring for purposes of paying duty, or declaring because they may need to be inspected? You shouldn't have to pay duty twice, but if you have, for example, agricultural items that need to be declared, you would need to declare them every time you enter the country.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,405 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs declaration

I agree that everytime you enter the US if an item has to be declared, it should be declared every time. It does not have to be opened to change the criteria.

The question is a bit vague -- why would you take something from home all the way to the Carribean and take it back unopened

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,666 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs declaration

i was puzzled by that too. if it is duty free bought in dublin, there could be serious problems. but the simple fact is that EVERYTHING should be declared. if the item is not allowed and seized, you will just have to accept it. if you had not declared it, you would be in far more trouble!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs declaration

Everything you bring in to a country each time you enter the country, needs to be declared, regardless of where it was bought, or how many borders it has crossed. If you technically import to the USA (maybe paying duty), then choose to export it, and then import it again (which is what you are talking about) then yes, you would pay duty twice.

I'm really not quite sure why someone would think you don't have to do this.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs declaration

"...why would you take something from home all the way to the Carribean and take it back unopened" OP may be bringing a gift to someone in the U.S. that she will not see until arrival at the second port of entry after the Caribbean, i.e., the 2nd US visit is to a different place than the first.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs declaration

That's it exactly, Sebastian.

Reply to: Customs declaration
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted