We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

Level Contributor
30 posts
Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

Hi

I have a booking on an Air Asia flight from Auckland to Kuala Lumpur departing at 8.20pm.

Now I’ll be in Queenstown on the morning of the departure and have to get to Auckland to catch my flight.

I have zeroed in on the Jetstar flight from Queenstown to Auckland dep at 3.40pm, arriving at 5.30pm.

Since I’m a budget traveller, the price suits me and also I can spend the morning in Queenstown and don’t have to waste too much time at Auckland Airport.

My query is whether the time gap between my two flights is OK or not ? Will I be able to catch my international flight ?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
696 posts
1. Re: Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

I believe the time gap is sufficient.

Keep in mind that AirAsia X from Auckland to Kuala Lumpur will stop in Gold Coast, Australia. According to the Australian laws, you need to check if you are entitled for the Transit Without Visa.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

I'd check with the locals on the New Zealand forum.

Jetstar ate known for cancelling flights at short notice.

Not good if you've got an international flight at risk.

Level Contributor
30 posts
3. Re: Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

I have a visa for Australia and NZ. I’ll be visiting Australia first and then NZ. So I think there wouldn’t be any problems with visa.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,029 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

Absent the visa issues, I think if you cut things that fine you could end up screwed. As has been said, Jetstar in NZ apparently has a reputation for cancelling flights at the last minute. Conventional wisdom is to plan to arrive in your international departure city the day before you leave, to allow room for last minute flight changes and delays.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

I too would travel up the day before. Too much at risk.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,848 posts
476 reviews
6. Re: Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar

That is too much of a risk for me as well. If you have separate tickets for these flights, as seems highly likely, then there are risks attached to doing what you plan to do.

All it needs is a cancellation or a significant delay to that flight and you'll need to buy a new ticket to get home, in all probability. As a budget traveller I;m sure you;d rather pay a bit more for an earlier flight with less risk of having to cough up for a last minute ticket back to Kuala Lumpur.

Have you looked at the Top Question about 'connecting' on separate tickets?

Reply to: Queenstown to Auckland via Jetstar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted