We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Topic
Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

Well, picked up the mail today, and there were two envelopes from United Airlines.

My first thought was “Oh heck, my wife and I have just been demoted to ‘lowly 1K’ again!”

That has happened 3x before, and it’s painful, but happens.

Well, with trepidation, I opened my envelope (planning to burn my wife’s, if we were dropped back to 1K), and with shaking hands began to examine its contents, and to read.

Well, it was NOT what I expected, though who knows if I will get the one, that I dread?

Inside the envelop is a bi-fold card, with pockets. In one, there is a Holiday card from Mr Munoz. In the other, there are 3 cards.

Those have lines to be filled in, with a bit of info??

I read some more.

Those cards are to be filled in by the lax, and handed to an employee, who has done a good job!

What do those employees get, when they redeem the cards from lax? A jab in the eye with a sharp stick? A monetary bonus? Dispensation from attending Monday team meetings? Invitations to the US “Tower” in Chicago? Well, I have no clue.

However, I feel that the general concept is a good one. I often fire off kudos for good staff, and more often than complaints for botched flights, or broken IFE... Atill, I am remiss in acknowledging all good employees. These cards will be used. Unfortunately, we only got 3 each, and normally, I could use 12.

Whatever, a nice gesture, and I already have my recipients picked out.

Hunt

15 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,819 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

Perhaps if you asked nicely, they'd send you more. After all, I imagine a lot of the ones they've sent out will end up in the round filing cabinet.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

Im sure they will be thrilled to be recognized considering what they normally have to put up with and its a good move by management prompting customers to "tip their hat" to a worthwhile employee.

I hope they get more than a pat on the back but I suspect some of those folks may be invited to the tower as you mention.

https://hub.united.com/united-100-employees-…

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

If I was a UA employee, I'd rather have an edible treat than an "Attaboy/Attagirl" card.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

If I was a UA employee, I'd rather have an edible treat than an "Attaboy/Attagirl" card.

====================

Perhaps.

But it's always nice to have something pleasant noted on your official record that you can roll out when its time for appraisals, etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

As a BA Gold I get these too. They're known as Golden Tickets in the BA world and according to crew it is a big honour to receive them.

I've never given one in person because there is also an electronic version one can submit through my Executive Club account.

Managers are aware of them and recipients of multiple tickets do get recognition and invited to certain events.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

I gather from your post that UA must have stopped this for a while and just now restarted it. Back when I was a UA premier we used to get these cards every year. I didn't know they discontinued, maybe after the merger with Continental?

Anyway, I still take note of names and write letters to airlines when someone goes the "extra mile" for me. You can do this on any airline. All you need is the first name, flight number, date, or if it's ground crew then just the location, time and date. I have these recognition letter templates and airline addresses on my computer so I just have to fill in more details about exactly what they did for me. I've actually gotten reply from the employee herself!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,396 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

"If I was a UA employee, I'd rather have an edible treat than an "Attaboy/Attagirl" card."

==========

In a world where (especially for FAs and gate staff) a complaint from a DYKWIA can land them in trouble, a series of "attaboy/girl" compliments from regular and high value flier pax can go a long way to help.

That's why my only dealings with UA Customer Service in the past 10 years has been to praise staff for the very good way they've dealt with difficult situations (mostly IRROPS). Anything that recognizes outstanding staff to their management is to be welcomed.

edit - @Bumpy, yes CO management cut a lot of that recognition. That's why I focused on writing in and praising staff. It was the only way to do so.

Edited: 14 December 2017, 04:57
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,186 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

I worke din the hospitality industry, and the majority of the staff I worked with were happier with a thank you or a compliment letter than a treat. I suspect that the airline industry and the hopitality industyr both have some things in common, such as a relatively high number of unjustified complaints, plus angry and often drunk customers abusing members of staff.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Got Letter from UA’s Oscar Munoz

Bob,

I had no seen that article.

Thank you for posting!

Appreciated,

Hunt

Chicago, Illinois