We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

Marriottsville...
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

Going to\from Bucharest/Budapest from Dulles August 26/September 9, 2018. Would appreciate opinions about when to purchase tickets--mainly concerned about price and ability to select seats at time of booking.

Any strong opinions abut which airline--reviews for any and all airlines reveal negatives.

7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,117 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

No one can tell on a given route when you'll see the lowest price. The general advice is to book when you see a price that you think is reasonable and affordable and then don't look again.

My opinion on trans Atlantic flights is all the major airlines are about the same quality of service in economy. There are little differences here and there but nothing major. Book based on price and schedule/itinerary first.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

People rarely review airlines after a great experience. Think about it this way - do you ever visit the lost luggage office to let them know your bag arrived in a timely manner? That being said, some of the better airlines for that routing (in my personal experience) would be Swiss, Scandinavian, and KLM. Also check out LOT - they can often offer some good prices via Warsaw.

Price - who knows, nobody really knows when the prices are going to be lowest. Could be today, could be two days ahead of the trip, and it could be any day in between...we just don't know. So you'll unfortunately just have to find a price you're happy with and bite the bullet.

Airlines may or may not allow you to choose seats at the time of booking, it depends on your fare as well as the airline, so this is a case-by-case basis. Also, if you can choose at the time of booking, it may or may not be free.

Sorry for all of the maybes, but there are a lot of factors.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

Oh wait, so I'm confused...your title says Frankfurt, but your message says Budapest and Bucharest. Which is it?

Edited: 11 December 2017, 19:14
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,383 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

Hi,

Most USA airlines will allow you to pick seats if you purchase the type of ticket with that privilege. You should read all info carefully before you book.

Generally speaking IF the airline doesn't sell enough seats on a flight they may reduce prices but they won't know that until a few months before the flight sooooo buying perhaps one season (like Spring for summer) before "may" get you the best price.

What I'd do is start following prices now.

You can see them easily by just using Google to search.

Then you can get an idea of what is being charged IF you see a price that you can easily afford then I'd just buy it. My rule of thumb is as much under $1,000 as possible is a good price. I also take into consideration the itinerary . I want as few stops as possible.

I have not gone to the cities you've mentioned so I'd do research as to which airlines fly into those cities and start from there.

After you monitor prices for a while I'd buy directly on the airline site that offers the best price and itinerary.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

>>>Oh wait, so I'm confused...your title says Frankfurt, but your message says Budapest and Bucharest. Which is it?<<<

Yep - there's definitely a difference. IAD-FRA only has UA / LH serving that route with non stops, and as there is no comptition to that partnership, they are expensive. You can fly IAD-BUD rtn for far less just because it has a connection.

DC
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

I think the OP knows they'll be flying IAD-FRA-BUD. UA and LH are the only options for the first leg, the second will be on LH. Both UA and LH are good. I've flown LH the last couple of times I've done this because they fly their 747-800s on the route and I love the 747.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt

I don't understand why OP would limit themselves to flying through FRA to get to BUD/OTP? Expanding to all of the other connecting airports makes it a lot easier to find a lower price and better schedule.

Reply to: When to book trans-Atlantic flight from Dulles to Frankfurt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted