We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airways first row blocked

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Thai Airways first row blocked

Hi,

I am looking on booking a return flight to Brussels, Bangkok in September next year, but noticed on the company website that the seat reservation tool blocks the more "interesting" rows (= more leg space like bulkhead or exit seats) in economy class.

Why is this and when are they available (via an upgrade, after some time closer to departure, ...) ?

kind regards, Tom.

5 replies to this topic
Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Airways first row blocked

Most airlines block these seats either for parents with small children who need bassinets or exit row allocation at the check in counter to fit and able passengers. Or they may keep them aside for higher status passengers in their loyalty scheme (e.g. As a high status passenger on Qantas I have a much better selection of seats to choose from on Qantas and oneworld partners than someone with entry level bronze status).

Increasingly these days, airlines also monetise their more preferential seats, but to my knowledge Thai hasn't started doing this yet.

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Airways first row blocked

The weird thing is, that on the reservation plan you can select only 1 seat on a preferable row.

This does not change when i play with the flightdate.

So if i understand correctly my only chance would be to change my seating at the check in?

Edited: 11 December 2017, 08:13
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Airways first row blocked

I would keep watching the seats, but yes, perhaps only at check-in you might be able to change. Be sure to check-in online the very minute it opens up.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Airways first row blocked

Book the best seats to suit you at the moment and then as soon as online check-in opens see what else is available and change if you see better seats available

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai Airways first row blocked

Ok, thank you all for your tips.

Flights are booked, let's hope it can be changed.

Reply to: Thai Airways first row blocked
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted