We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking baggage 3 flights under 1 ticket with 2 airlines

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Checking baggage 3 flights under 1 ticket with 2 airlines

I am travelling from Melbourne to Oporto with one ticket purchased with Turkish Airlines and the itinerary is the following: MEL-KUL (operated with Malaysia Airlines), KUL-IST (with Turkish Airlines) and IST-OPO (also with Turkish Airlines).

I have one single ticket with 2 PNRs (one for each company). I have two questions: 1) Will I be able to check-in for all flights at the beginning of the journey (note that the first flight is not with the company that "sold the ticket") and 2) if not, will I still be able to check my baggage through to the final destination?

Thank you very much

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking baggage 3 flights under 1 ticket with 2 airlines

Hi Beatriz,

You can give a call to Malaysia Airlines Melbourne office to check it. Normally if Turkish Airlines can issue the ticket including the Malaysia Airlines segment, You will get the boarding passes from Malaysia Airlines counter, and the checked baggage will go all the way to Oporto.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking baggage 3 flights under 1 ticket with 2 airlines

The bags should be checked all the way through to OPO (Porto).

Boarding passes? That could be an issue though these days the check in airline (MH in your case) usually can issue downline boarding passes even for "out of alliance" carriers. However don't worry. You will stay airside at KUL (no need to reclear security before the boarding gate, so if you don't get the boarding passes at MEL, head to the Turkish service counter and get the passes there. KUL is one of the most pleasant airports to transit and you should find the assistance you need.

Edited: 11 December 2017, 04:07
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking baggage 3 flights under 1 ticket with 2 airlines

I do this often when I travel. For instance I start with a regional carrier, my next flight is on United, then a 3rd flight is with Lufthansa. When I check in for my first flight with the regional carrier they tag my bag all the way to my final destination.

Edited: 11 December 2017, 04:09
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking baggage 3 flights under 1 ticket with 2 airlines

Thank you all for your helpful replies! I'm not so worried now. I will post again in reply if something happens and for some reason it does not happen as expected.

Reply to: Checking baggage 3 flights under 1 ticket with 2 airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted