We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

5 posts
First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

Hello All,

Please bear with me, as I try and explain everything. I’ll be flying international for the first time as an adult.

Soon, I’ll be flying from Manchester, UK - Amsterdam Schiphol - Seoul Incheon Int - Mactan, Cebu, Philippines. The return journey will be Mactan, Cebu - Seoul Incheon Int - London Heathrow- Manchester. I’ll be flying Korean Air operated by KLM and Korean Air itself.

I’m not too sure what to expect, so if anyone could please give me insight in to the following, I’d much appreciate it:

- will I need to claim my baggage for each layover, or will my baggage be transferred and then I claim it when I reach Cebu? (I’ll have 1 piece of hand luggage and 1 checked bag)

- how on earth does check in work?

- selecting seats 24hrs before(?)

- am I allowed to leave the airport when I have a layover?

- will I be able to buy anything at duty free? (Also on my return Heathrow - Manchester?)

Apologies it’s quite long, I’d just like to know as much as possible, so I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

5 posts
1. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

I’ll be flying with Korean Air and BA for the return journey.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,094 posts
451 reviews
2. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

Welcome to the forum. Long trip but should be seamless. I'm assuming that you have this all on one ticket? Assuming that's the case, your baggage will be checked in at Manchester and will appear in Cebu. No need to claim it en route.

Check with the carrier on seats. You may be able to reserve them now. Simply checkin at Manchester airport a few hours before the flight.

In terms of leaving the transit zone en route, it all depends on the particular visa requirement for that particular country. If there is no visa required, you would be able to leave. I would not recommend that unless you have a really significant amount of time between flights. Given that this is a first time international trip, the safer alternative is simply staying in the transit zone so you don't run into problems leaving the airport.

Yes, you should have options for duty free on the way home.

Have fun.

5 posts
3. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

Thank you for your reply!

I assume so, I was bought the ticket as a gift through a third party site, who they’ve used before. I’ve downloaded the e-ticket from the Korean Air website - all the flights are on this e-ticket itenerary and receipt, so I’m assuming that means it’s all on one ticket? (I am sorry, just not used to this!)

With reserving the seats, is this something I need to do or is it the sort of pay for better seats sort of thing? I’m not even sure how I do it.

Thank you for the information, it’s a big help!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

Who was the third party site? And check that they spelt your name (as in your passport) correct?

5 posts
5. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

cheapoair.ca and yes, spelt correctly :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,261 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

I have never used cheapoair, and I think they do have some not-so-great reviews/comments here in the forum. When you buy your own flights in the future, either buy direct from the airline, or for more complex itineraries, head to a knowledgeable living, breathing travel agent. Avoid 3rd party sites online.

Some airlines allow you to reserve seats in advance. Others don't let you choose seats until certain hours before check-in. Some allow their elite members to choose seats. Check the airline policy. Also, you will need the booking reference for each airline you will be using in order to log onto their webpage to check-in and choose seats. The booking reference is typically a 5-6 alphanumeric code. See if you can figure these things out from your ticket.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,510 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

I think it would be very worth while to phone each airline with which you have a ticket to ask if they have your name in their records. You might need the booking reference in that case.

Do you have Minimum Connection Times for each layover?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
704 posts
8. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

- will I need to claim my baggage for each layover, or will my baggage be transferred and then I claim it when I reach Cebu? (I’ll have 1 piece of hand luggage and 1 checked bag)

A: You don't need to claim the baggage at each layover as KLM and Korean Air are Skyteam partners. On your way to Cebu they will take care of your baggage. Not sure for the trip back to Manchester as you will change the airlines from Korean Air to British Airways.

- how on earth does check in work?

A: Head to Korean Air website and do the online check in, or head to KLM counter in Manchester airport or Korean Air counter in Cebu airport to do the check in.

- selecting seats 24hrs before(?)

A: For the seat reservation, you need to head to KLM, Korean Air and British Airways to select the seats.

- am I allowed to leave the airport when I have a layover?

A: Assuming you are the UK passport holder, you can leave the airport when you are in Amsterdam, Seoul and London.

- will I be able to buy anything at duty free? (Also on my return Heathrow - Manchester?)

A: Yes you can.

9. Re: First time international flyer as an adult! HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: today, 06:15