We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight change - different arrival airport

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight change - different arrival airport

Hi all,

I had a Flybe flight booked to return from Berlin airport to Doncaster Sheffield airport and they have cancelled the flight and want me to return to Birmingham instead (over two hours more travelling back home).

They have offered me a full refund for my flight but I will still have to travel (and pay for) train tickets/taxi from somewhere like Manchester or Leeds airport (closer than Birmingham but still extra travel and costs)

They say they can not reimburse me for my additional travel but does anyone know if I am entitled to this/ if my travel insurance can cover this?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

6 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,885 posts
1,307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight change - different arrival airport

For the travel insurance, you will need to check your policy, specifically.

As for the airline, seems their routes have changed, but the offered you a full refund.

Maybe take that, and find a different airline?

Best of luck,

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight change - different arrival airport

"They say they can not reimburse me for my additional travel but does anyone know if I am entitled to this/ if my travel insurance can cover this?"

======

You ARE entitled to ground travel to/from another airport under EU261 when an airline changes departure or arrival airport.

However that ground transport could just be a coach ticket so it may or may not be worth it.

Your choice is full refund, or to accept the change (with that ground transportation should you get something offered).

Take a look at all options (and total costs and convenience) before calling.

Good luck.

Edited: 24 November 2017, 14:12
UK
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight change - different arrival airport

USBT, does that always apply, or only when it's a last-minute change? (I know there are some things in EU261 that only apply when changes/cancellations are announced less than two weeks before departure)

London, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight change - different arrival airport

The 14 day rule applies to compensation. In the case of cancellation, under the Regulation you are entitled to EITHER a full refund or a reasonable re-route on the same or another carrier. The latter is something that many airlines frequently try to deny/avoid During the recent spate of Ryanair cancellations the CAA had to force them to offer re-routes on other carriers.

Not sure if an alternative flight to DSA exists, but I'm guessing that the flight offered to BHX is also on Flybe. If there is another carrier offering flights to a closer airport, the OP could ask Flybe to rebook them on that, but it would not surprise me if the airline resisted, or even denied such a right existed.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight change - different arrival airport

Lets look at alternatives that you might ask for. No other airline flies between Berlin and Doncaster-Sheffield, so that's out. There aren't even any reasonable connecting flights to get you there.

Ryanair fly on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from the "other" Berlin airport, Schoenfeld, to East Midlands, and Brussels Airlines/bmi Regional offer weekday connections from Berlin Tegel via Brussels to there.

Jet2 fly on Mondays and Fridays from Berlin (Schoenfeld again) to Leeds Bradford, and KLM have daily connections via Amsterdam from Berlin Tegel.

Both Ryanair and easyJet fly several times a week from Berlin (Schoenfeld) to Manchester

There are also connecting flights with KLM (changing in Amsterdam) and Eurowings (changing in Dusseldorf) from Berlin Tegel to Manchester.

KLM have connecting flights via Amsterdam from Berlin Tegel to Humberside.

That's basically all the airports within a reasonable distance which have any commercial flights at all, apart from Birmingham, which they've already offered. As we don't know which day of the week you are expecting to fly, some of them might be non-starters anyway, and you're still going to have a road or rail journey when you get back to the UK, no matter what.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight change - different arrival airport

Thank you for your all your advice! We are flying back on a Monday so the options are limited. It seems that I should just be grateful that they have given me a refund! Very frustrating, will go with Ryanair next time...!

Thanks again :)

Reply to: Flight change - different arrival airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted