We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

Hi,

This would be quite a challenge for us.

We are leaving out of SFO (San Francisco) to LHR (Heathrow, London). Our flight arrives in LHR at 12:05 PM. Our next flight leaves out of LGW (Gatwich) to GOA (Genoa) at 3:45 PM.

There were no direct flight from Heathrow.

With going through custom in Heathrow and a transfer from Heathrow to Gatwich, will we have enough time to catch our flight?

Thank you for your help.

Danny

Edited: 21 November 2017, 17:22
27 replies to this topic
edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

Not enough time. Is this one ticket or 2 separate tickets

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

One ticket and you will have a back up option courtesy of the airline, but two tickets looks far too tight.

Say an hour to land and clear immigration, an hour ideally by prebooked car to Gatwick, check in 90 minutes prior and you have no flex at all (the journey between the two is 40 Miles on one of the busiest (and often congested) roads in Europe). what in this can you change, frankly 6 hours is the de-risked transfer time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,328 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

'With going through custom in Heathrow and a transfer from Heathrow to Gatwich [Gatwick], will we have enough time to catch our flight?' Very possibly not.

With what airline are you flying from SFO to LHR, and on what date? DId you book a through ticket, directly with the airline, to Genoa? If not you may be looking at buying new tickets from Gatwick to GOA.

If your flight from SFO is delayed in departing or in getting on stand at Heathrow you'll lose time you haven't got. Depending on the carrier and terminal building of arrival you may have a long hike to passport control and could face a wait of 10 to 60 minutes there. Should you book a car and driver (advisable) that could help a little, but there is always the potential for the M25 and/or M23 to be car parks.

Please let us know more.

Aberdeen, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

You are on the edge of the required transfer time in my opinion. Allow an hour to get through immigration and pick up your baggage at Heathrow unless you are travelling in Business or First Class and have access to fast track clearance. Public transport between Heathrow and Gatwick is by express bus but you would be better taking a cab or pre booking a transfer wiht a local taxi firm. There are plenty advertising on the internet. If traffic is average then the journey between the two airport is around 40 minutes but the M25 motorway often has jams which would slow you down. Quickest I have done is around 30 minutes. If you are on a through priced ticket then the airline will take responsibility if you miss the connection, if you booked them separately it will be up to you to rebook at your expense. What's your baggage plan? If you have hand baggage only then you won't need to be at Gatwick until around an hour before the flight, maybe less. You should check in online, that will save some time at Gatwick. Flights from the US to the UK usually arrive early, check Flightstats web site for the typical arrival time of your service, that might give you more confidence.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,535 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

The M25 and M23 motorways between LHR and LGW are notorious for traffic jams. Although it is only about 40 miles between the two airports, the journey could take hours. You simply do not have enough time to make your flight.

I live near LHR but always drive down to LGW the night before a flight from there as there is no way I would want to do the drive on the day of my flight.

The drive has taken me as little as an hour and as long as 4 hours.....not due to an accident, just sheer volume of traffic.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

Thank you everyone.

We are flying Virgin Atlantic coming in from SFO.

The flight say it arrives at 12:05.

The flight from Gatwick to Genoa is with British Airways.

I would have to book this separately since I don't think they co-share.

Thank you.

Danny

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

Just to clarify: Not too sure exactly what you mean or understand by 'co-sharing', however that itinerary can very probably be booked as a single ticket, even though the 2 airlines involved are not best friends. However, I'd ask:

Is the SFO to LHR ticket already booked?

What website are you looking for route options for SFO to GOA?

If you have not yet booked your flights, I do have a different option for you: This will still be 2 separate tickets, so you still need time contingency, but it avoid the M25 headache. Look at booking Norwegian's OAK - LGW route.

The DY flight lands at 12:10 at LGW South Terminal, and the BA flight departs the same terminal.

SWT

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,264 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

Under normal circumstances it should be enough time but you don't have too much buffer for delays. If this isn't booked yet I'd leave more time between flights.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

Thank you everyone.

If I do find a flight that lands in LGW by 12:30, would this give me more than enough time to catch my next flight at 3:45 to Genoa?

Thank you.

Danny

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,264 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?

"If I do find a flight that lands in LGW by 12:30, would this give me more than enough time to catch my next flight at 3:45 to Genoa?"

If your first flight lands on schedule you will have plenty of time. Problem is nobody will know if it does until you actually fly. Could you not fly into Milan instead? That would give you much more options as far as getting a single ticket. Train from Milan to Genoa is just 90 minutes.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 19:14
Reply to: Will We Have Enogh Time To Transfer in London?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted