We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

Hello! :) We are flying American Airlines flight 929 MIA-GRU (Sao Paulo) on Boeing 777-200. We have the option to choose either the bulkhead seats with adjustable legrest, or seats in the rows behind with adjustable footrest.

Anyone with experience on this aircraft in Premium Economy have comments on the differences between the two selections?

12 replies to this topic
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

I'd just like to point out that AA does not have premium economy. They have Main Cabin Extra seats with 5-6" extra of legroom, but that's about it on the 777-200 (the 777-300 has slightly wider seats in MCE too, but I don't believe the 777-200s do). This is very different than Premium Economy, which is an industry term for not only larger seats but usually other amenities such as better meals, extra baggage allowances, sometimes even lounge access.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience in MCE on the 777-200s yet, but I just wanted to make sure you knew what to expect.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

Perhaps I got the model number on the aircraft wrong, but they do offer Premium Economy. Have you flown Premium Economy on AA on a different model aircraft?

https:/…premium-economy.jsp

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
164 reviews
3. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

Ah, I must be mistaken, I was under the impression that they only had it on the 787-9 aircraft. My apologies then, carry on :)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

No worries at all, I appreciate you responding! :) With all these airlines rolling out Premium Economy at different times, I myself was getting very confused as to who offers what. I just want to try to figure out which seat would be more comfortable for my husband, as he's the one who can sleep on planes (I cannot, so I don't care which footrest I get, lol!).

I do have another question, though - you mentioned MCE. My Mother-in-Law is on the same flight as us, and we were able to upgrade her to the first row in the main cabin with a MCE seat. She should get a decent amount of legroom, yes? (We did not book her original ticket, FYI, I would NEVER book Premium Economy for myself and then book my MIL in Economy class, lol! Her ticket was booked months ago by my husband's brother, so the best we could get her for now is an upgrade to MCE).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,116 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

MCE rows should have minimum of 34" of legroom. A bulkhead seat could give her more depending on the aircraft configuration.

I have not flown AA PE so I can't give you exact comments. I would be weary of the bulkhead row in the middle section due to passenger and crew traffic, especially at the aisle seats based on experience with other airlines PE on a 777. Only book that row if you can get the window pair.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
6. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

It's a new offering for AA. Just started recently and they are slowly adding the PE seats to more aircraft. Probably not too many people with a lot of experience with it at this point.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

Good to know...I will be sure to post my observations about it after our trip. Thanks everyone for your responses!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

AA began retrofitting Premium Economy seats to their 772 fleet back in June 2017. As of Nov 3 17, 27 out of the fleet of 47 aircraft have been converted. The conversion is scheduled to be completed around June 2018.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

Well, in case anyone is interested, I just got back from this trip and HIGHLY recommend the bulkhead seats in the row next to the window. With the bulkhead seats, you get an extendable legrest/footrest which makes the trip pretty comfortable. American's Premium Economy overall was great...you get Premium Economy seats (they don't lie flat, but they recline with footrests) and the first class service (first class drinks/dining, amenity kit, blankets, pillows, etc...). If you can afford the extra $400 or so per ticket, it's well worth it.

Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
10. Re: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?

Tina

Thanks for the feedback. We experienced the Premium Economy seats on AA recently and liked them also. I think PE is a nice, true, added value option for flyers, for those who have qualms paying stupid money for Biz/first but want a bit of comfort higher than the regular seats.

My feedback is restricted to seats only. We booked a less than 2hr domestic flight in Main cabin extra but on the day of flight, the A330 plane was fitted for Prem Economy. The seats were wider, more leg room, and we chose seats just behind bulkhead (my family members prefer storing stuff underneath seats in front.) The seat rest was nice for me. Nice IFE with many nice choices. The cabin for this was something like 2-3-2 X5 rows. Because it was a short flight we did not have meals but regular snacks and drinks. My husband did get wine free (but this was outside of norm).

Overall, a great experience and I will be interested to check out PE availability in the future.

Reply to: AA Premium Economy MIA - GRU...which seat to choose?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted