We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

DO NOT PURCHASE TICKETS FROM EXPEDIA.COM. Take it from someone who's been loyal to expedia.com for the last 10 years.

Last night I purchased a pair of tickets from SFO to Montreal, Canada. I also purchased travel insurance and paid $50 to cover both tickets. 10 minutes after I made the purchase I realized conflict with my wife's schedule, after discussing it with her, we decided to cancel the travel for now.

Nice last night, 10 minutes after purchasing the tickets, I have been talking on the phone with Expedia's agents for a total of at least 5 hours. They refused to refund my ticket. They basically said this is a "Bargain" price and is no-refundable.

The last gentleman I talked to told me "You are talking to the highest escalation department and there's nothing we can do for you!". This is absolutely unfair, especially for someone who's been purchasing flight tickets and hotels through Expedia for the last 10 years. I am so frustrated and don't know where to go with this.

26 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,819 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

it makes no difference if you were a regular customer or not. when you clicked on accept, you formed a contract for non-refundable tickets. maybe if you were nice to them, they could find a way to allow you to change the date, but if it was a "one off" deal, that is probably unlikely.

of course, you could have booked direct with the airline and maybe there would have been a slight difference in the t and c, but it might also have been more expensive.

maybe your wife can change her schedule?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,623 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

hang on. For tickets purchased from the US to ... the carrier will let you cancel the ticket within 24 hours of purchase. So Expedia should let you do the same. I'm surprised. I would call the credit card company and see what they say to challenge this. I would also call Expedia again

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,322 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

In the US the airline has to let you cancel, but that doesn't apply if you book via a third party, only if you book direct with the airline. It's just another reason to book direct.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

Expedia have the same policy, so you should tell them it is less than 24 hours.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,623 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

https:/…12324

So expedia does mention that policy as well but uses the word for some airfares. Well that way they can always deny people.

Oh well. I would still try and yes in future another reason to book directly with the airline

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

When you look for flights, it always says if the policy applies to that particular flight.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

Lesson learned to communicate with each other before booking flights then

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

Just another reason to book direct with the airline, especially if you are in the US, where the airline has to give you 24 hours to cancel without penalty. In fact, a couple of times I've been able to pay a small fee - about $8 - for a three day hold on flights with United, when I didn't want to lose a good fare, but I wasn't 100% sure of my plans.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

"the carrier will let you cancel the ticket within 24 hours of purchase."

Yes and no. It depends on the travel date. the regulation that covers this states that the flight has to be booked at least a week before the travel date in order to qualify for the free cancellation. If it's less than a week, the airline can (and may) stick with the applicable fare rules.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from

hang on. For tickets purchased from the US to ... the carrier will let you cancel the ticket within 24 hours of purchase. So Expedia should let you do the same. I'm surprised. I would call the credit card company and see what they say to challenge this. I would also call Expedia again

------------------------------------

Expedia as a travel agent can add their own rules and charge their own penalties. OP did not purchase from an airline carrier, hence is up creek without paddle.

Reply to: How to Expedia refused to refund my tickets, 10 minutes from
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted