We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

We booked our tickets for the States this summer before our baby was born this fall. We've decided to add our newborn together with our other baby to our tickets today. Both of them are below two years old during the whole trip. Apparently budgetair will not let us add them anymore. We are travelling in a weeks time for a month. We have an airfrance return ticket from Paris to Los Angeles for me and my husband. They want us to book new tickets which now includes the two babies and cancel the old ones, which are non-reimbursable. This is too expensive an option for us. We've called BudgetAir France and a rude lady told us it's not possible anymore. Also called Air France and they said that they cannot do anything. What else can we do?

30 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,471 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

You bought your tickets through budgetair and they control them not Air France. Any changes have to be done by them. That is one of the problems with not buying directly from the airline.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
441 reviews
2. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

Ok I’ll be frank.

If I read this right you had one child with another due in about three months later and who would be weeks or even days old on the date of travel, whikst planning to be away for a month, and you bought 2 adult (only) tickets from a third party? And you thought to add two children later....

now I may have misunderstood the situation but my first reaction is “what were you thinking of” ...you have a contract with Budgetair, you deal with them (your choice) and accept their offer or scrap it and start again. I cannot see a way to resolve this, you have painted yourself into a corner.

UK
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

Has it occurred to you that there could be a technical reason why you can't add the babies to the booking retrospectively?

Why didn't you include them in the original booking? You knew the name of at least one of them. Even if you hadn't named the other one you should have been able to include him/her in the booking as Surname/Inf (that's how we booked not-yet-born babies when I was working for an airline - admittedly some considerable time ago)

Edited: 23 October 2017, 19:51
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

As stated your contract is with Budget Air and not Air France. So any possible change has to be done by budget air according to their terms and conditions.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

I can't see that you have any options other than to work with Budgetair if you want your children to accompany you. I don't understand why you didn't include the older child on your original booking. Were you originally planning on getting someone else to look after him/her whilst you were away?

If you can't afford/don't want to pay what Budgetair are saying, then the only choices I can see are leave the 2 children behind with a friend or family member or not go on your trip.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 20:44
Paris, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

At the time of booking their system wouldn't let us include our firstborn, maybe because she have our two last names, so we decided to book them together after our newborn was born. We cannot leave such young babies for a month.

It's true that Air France will not do anything as we've booked through BudgetAir. However when we asked the same thing from SaudiAir (another ticket booked from the BudgetAir, for another destination) they immediately added the baby.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

Saudiair shouldn't have touched the booking. It isn't theirs to amend.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

As much as wanted to book then for our newborn now, we didn't have his birth date yet as I was still pregnant when we were planning for this trip.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

You don't need a birth date to book.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
441 reviews
10. Re: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies

I’m sorry but this appears to get worse... if that’s possible .......so the agent would not book your firstborn so you decided to book yourselves and leave booking the child until later..... Why not look for someone who would book your whole family? I cannot see how you have any options other than to pay or cancel.

Reply to: BudgetAir, AirFrance will not let us add our babies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted