We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

Hello, I'm trying to figure out if 2 hours is enough time if I'm flying in FROM Japan and landing at LAX at 10:40am and need to make it to Terminal 1 for a 12:45pm flight home (with Southwest Airlines, I think they start boarding 30 minutes prior)

We both have Global Entry so that should help, however it's been ages since I've flown internationally so I can't remember how baggage claim works ... do you get baggage prior to customs?

In other words: if the international flight goes well and we land at 10:40am, with Global Entry could I feasibly make it to Terminal 1 by 12:15pm after getting through customs and baggage claim??

6 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,806 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

Hi,

Let's look at the timeline... also, with respect to Southwest, the >boarding time< isn't really going to the "make-or-break" factor.. it's going to be baggage check in (I assume you have checked baggage as you mention getting baggage and customs)

According to WN's Contract of Carriage, 7d(3), which says, in part "...Baggage must be checked at Carrier’s airport ticket counter or curbside check-in locations (where available) at least 45 minutes prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time, See Section 8 for additional requirements for international travel."

Southwest:

https:/…contract-of-carriage.pdf

So.. That 12:45 WN flights means you'll need to be at and **done** with baggage check-in >no later than< 12:05...

With a planned arrival at 10:40* into TBIT, I'd reasonably assume that (using your GE) that you should be out of the FIS (Federal Inspection Area) in about :60.... maybe a bit less... but that really depends on how many passengers are in front of you.. and are GE-eligible (which I suspect will not be an overly huge number)..

(note that it is not uncommon for eastbound Asia-US west coast services to arrive earlier than planned times due to wind/weather conditions enroute)

So.. that leaves me with an exit from TBIT's FIS at about 11:40ish.. You can walk (the faster way unless your baggage is hard to move or you've got a lot) to T1 in about :7 to :10 or so...

Now we're looking at 11:50 to maybe 12:00N... As noted earlier, WN will require your bags to be checked no later than 12:05...

So... I personally don't like this combination.. If I were a betting man, I'd say you'd probably get lucky - largely because I'll bet you'll arrive early from NRT... and GE will cut down on the processing time... BUT... you really don't have any real margin for error or delay...

Yes.. you can check-in early with WN.. that's true.. but you still have to have your checked baggage tagged and in WN's possession by that :40 cut-off... so the fact that you can check-in early is good.. it doesn't resolve the baggage cut-off timeline.

Travel Safe,

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,571 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

I'd be nervous. Every time I've gone by T1 at LAX the lineup for check-in / bag check has been out the door. It's a schlep from TBIT in the first place.

Bag claim before customs.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 03:43
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

Given you have global entry I think you will get through the FSI area in thirty to forty minutes but other than that I agree with GOBPI's assessment so I would be concerned about any and all delays.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

Does Southwest have any later flights?

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

Hard to say...A bit tight

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1

I'm actually booked for the later flight and was thinking I could make the margin for the early flight. Oh well! I guess a little detour into Venice Beach is in my future (the next nonstop flight leaves at 7:35pm, looking up LAX layover ideas now)

Thank you SO MUCH Tripadvisor community!

Reply to: LAX, Tom Bradley to Terminal 1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted