We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time between LHR T3 arrivals and T4 departures

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time between LHR T3 arrivals and T4 departures

I will have 2 tickets (DFW-LHR on AA which lands in T3) and LHR-BOM (Jet Airways which takes off from T4). Since these are separate AA e-locators (one paid, one miles ticket), AA may not check my bags through to BOM. Hence, could someone please tell me how to get from T3 arrivals to T4 departures and how much time it could take assuming I have to clear immigration in LHR, pick up bags, clear customs and travel from T3 arrivals to T4 departures.

I have the miles ticket from LHR-BOM but have yet to buy the DFW-LHR leg and so would like to plan the right amount of transit time given the circumstances.

Would appreciate guidance.

Thanks

Conroy

3 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time between LHR T3 arrivals and T4 departures

It's not just time but contingency you need. Here's the link to the Top Question on the risks of "connecting" on separate tickets.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c2…

My modus operandi when I do separate tickets is **at least** two backup flights to get you to the ticket split airport (LHR) and/or minimum six hours between flights (whichever is longer). With this schedule I'd consider flying into Heathrow the day before.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 06:31
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time between LHR T3 arrivals and T4 departures

Thank you for your feedback

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,151 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time between LHR T3 arrivals and T4 departures

People do tend to frame these kinds of questions as 'how long will take at the airport', but as USBT says, there's much more to it. Because of the consequences of missing a second or subsequent flight, you really do need to build in a fair amount of contingency time into the schedule.

My own 'rules' are to have a minimum of four hours between short haul flights or for long haul to short haul, with the exact amount dependent on the airport, and ideally an overnight break of at least 12 hours if the second flight is a long haul.

Reply to: Travel time between LHR T3 arrivals and T4 departures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted