We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

2 posts
Save Topic
London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

Can someone recommend return flights from London with following conditions:

1. Travelling with 1 year old

2. Want to spend most time in Canberra instead of air travel and transit.

3. Affordable

Hope I am not asking too much :)

16 replies to this topic
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

Affordable is going to completely depend upon your definition of affordable, the class you plan on taking (I'll assume economy for the purpose of this thread), and the time of year. We can't help you with that one.

It's going to be a LONG trip no matter what. For the shortest trip, I would recommend going to somewhere like Expedia, plotting in your specific dates, and sorting by "Duration (Shortest)". For random days in February, the shortest is Qatar Airways LHR-DOH-SYD-CBR...but do note that the layover in Doha is only 70 minutes, which may not be ideal for traveling with such a young kiddo. You'll have to do your own research and make your own decisions, but do be aware of connection times sometimes being shorter than you may want.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

Affordable will be mostly dependant on "when" as rush hour is always dearer and midweek off peak can show substantial savings. I'm guessing this is in economy.

I search here https://www.google.co.uk/flights/ but I would avoid the adverts, just use it to find schedules and then check that with the airlines. Signing up for email alerts will get you notified of any sales or offers

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

Singapore Airlines London - Singapore - Canberra

That is 1 sector about 13 hrs

5 hrs transit in Singapore - you can take a room at the transit hotel for a few hours to rest / shower / change

Then 7 hrs 30 straight into Canberra

Same airline , just 2 sectors

There is the Qatar Airways but that is 3 flight sectors but as #1 says that connection of 70 mins is a rush

Otherwise it's via SYD for immigration and customs and then another flight to Canberra which I would avoid if you can , the Singapore Airlines flight would I think be ideal.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 14:46
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

Note that currently it is only Singapore Airlines and then Qatar offering long-haul direct into Canberra Airport.

Other airlines would mean connecting through Sydney , others may offer MEL but Sydney is nearest

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

Good point about avoiding immigration and customs in SYD and then another flight. I will look at the Singapore airlines options. thx

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

I will say, in regards to response #4, that I have connected through both SYD and MEL on my way to Canberra and while Sydney is technically closer, neither flight is long and I doubt it would make too much of a difference. OP, I would say if you find a journey that you like which transits via MEL instead of SYD, go for it.

7. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 October 2017, 15:06

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
599 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

One way London to Canberra, the shortest trip seems to be Qatar Airways and Qantas about 90 minute transit in Doha and 90 minutes in Adelaide (where you have to clear customs and immigration). Total duration 24 hours and 20 minutes.

....according to skyscanner.net

Then Qantas (operated by Emirates) transiting in Dubai and Sydney (clear customs and immigration) and Qantas for Sydney to Canberra 24 hours and 55 minutes.

Singapore Airlines does offer direct Singapore to Canberra SQ 291 4 days per week. But their total duration from London to Canberra using this flight is 25 hours and 35 minutes, simply because there is almost 5 hours transit in Singapore. This one is likely to be the most cost effective but of course it would be dependent on sales on offer at any point in time.

uk
Level Contributor
356 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

A five hour transit in Singapore is really not too arduous, even with a small person. There is plenty to see and do and also quiet places, cinema, butterfly garden and plenty of eating places and of course shopping. This would certainly be my preference over a further transit/sector in Australia, bearing in mind that the latter will also involve a transfer from international to domestic terminal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?

I think the Singapore Airlines flight would be ideal, just 2 legs.

If you decide to get s flight with a transit, try for Melbourne rather than Sydney. The transfer from international to domestic is easier in Melbourne.

Reply to: London to Canberra (shortest flight time)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted