We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

13 posts
Save Topic
Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

Plan to flying from Turin to CDG with AirFrance in 6:05am, arrive CDG at 7:40am (Terminal 2G) to connect the EVA air outbound Taiwan at 11:20am (Terminal 1), in 1st Dec.

It's a separate ticket, so I have to claim luggage and clear the custom at T2 than move to T1 to check back in and go through the security again, I'm an Eva Air Gold card member so I should not be spending to much time on queuing check-in counter, that's the only beneficial part. Can anyone advise if this layover time adequate? Many thanks in advance!

Edited: 17 October 2017, 09:31
10 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

There is a lot of risk if your flight from Turin is cancelled or delayed. If you miss the EVA flight you will be a nonshow and your ticket will be cancelled, including everything on that ticket. You will need to purchase a new ticket at the walk up price or pay an expensive change fee and difference in price, expensive.

CDG is not the easiest airport to negotiate, queues could be long at immigration, it all takes time.

So no there isn't enough time. It's always recommended to have a back up,plan and this should be to fly in the day before. However if you have a load of money, don't mind paying for a new ticket then you can risk it.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 09:37
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

1st December you could face delays with weather especially early morning with mist and fog. It's a risk.

13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

Thank you so much for your feedback, it's very useful, been heard CDG is like a maze, thought T1 is near by T2 so I was debating if I should chance it, after seeing your reply I think I will abort this plan, delay departure is a crucial factor should be taking into consideration. Thanks again.

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

Thank you so much for your feedback, it's very useful, been heard CDG is like a maze, thought T1 is near by T2 so I was debating if I should chance it, after seeing your reply I think I will abort this plan, delay departure is a crucial factor should be taking into consideration. Thanks again.

Denmark
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

I only been trough CDG one time and i remember it as being a bad airport. as far as i know there are no internal transfer from one terminal to another so the time you would need to spend are not that much longer than the one you would need if your luggage were checked trough. So if your flights are on time there should not be any problems.

You can see transfer times here

easycdg.com/passenger-information/…

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

Thomas, OP has separate tickets so minimum connection times are irrelevant, as he already knows he has to pick up luggage, checkin again etc.

Denmark
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

smudge99 yes i read his post and know he has to pick up luggage. But since a transfer from terminal 1 to 2 has a minimum time of 75 minutes that would leave him with 2 hours 25 minutes for picking up his luggage and checking it in again if his flights are on time.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,178 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

As usual, it;s not so much the time that will be taken going through an airport, but the cushion one has against things going wrong on the day. Minimum connection times are not really relevant because they are designed for passengers wiht true, protected, connections.

I think the OP has made the right decision if they are aborting this plan. I would want a minimum of 4hrs between separately ticketed flights. More than that relaly, if the second one is a long haul flight as in this case. The consequences of missing the flight will be a lot more severe than if it were a flight to Turin out of a long haul arrival. That has to come into the equation, surely?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,592 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

It's not just picking luggage up and checking it in. You've got to leave time to actually get to your luggage before picking it up, transferring and re-dropping. The bag drop will close around 45/60 mins prior to departure.

Given it's Winter and the risk of weather causing delays in landing, (even if the flight left on time in the first place) it's nowhere near enough time for me to risk a longhaul ticket, which could be very costly to replace.

Boston...
Level Contributor
614 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?

Travel insurance would be a good investment.

Reply to: Is 3h40m connecting time for separate flight in CDG eonugh?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted