We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

Hi we have about 60,000 - 70,000 BA Avios . There's a possibility of adding more in November.

One idea - a holiday in S. Cyprus in Sept 2018. I'm confused. we may have missed the chance of flight and hotel. I thought it was11m pre booking - October. But it may have been Aug.

Leaving that aside where can I find the options available to use BA Avios and those for Avios site itself. For what and when or just where to find a list of options for these. I see reviews where there's been a successful outcome so I must be doing something wrong somehow !

Many thanks

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

Forgive me for being obvious - but you don’t mention the Avios website which seems to address these points .... http://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/about-us

Then having identified what I thought I wanted, I rang them and bottomed out what I needed to do.....

Sorry if i’m Being simplistic

Edited: 26 September 2017, 20:09
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

Avios flights are available to book on BA.com up until mid-September next year. Looks like good availability to Larnaca from London. 72k Avios will get you two return flights in Club Europe on off-peak dates.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

If you book a BA flight you can usually use Avois points at the end (close to the payment screen) which will reduce the cost of the flight.

If you book a BA holiday (flight and accommodation as a package in one transaction) you can't use Avois points to reduce the cost of the holiday unfortunately.

Buxton, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
126 reviews
4. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

BA avois, imho, can be fantastic so long as you plan a long time in advance and are flexible. In the past 3 years, with some careful saving and spending patterns I've done a club class to toronto, first to Seattle and am about to do first to Singapore. None of these could I have justified with cash. In all cases I booked a year ahead and was able.to be a bit flexible with dates.

London
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

Here is the web site you need https:/…spending-avios

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,603 posts
97 reviews
6. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

Oooh, that's a handy prompt, I've just ordered 12 bottles of wine for free using up points that were about to expire, thanks!

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

That's helpful. I'm now older, deaf and have another disability. Suddenly. These things seem much harder. I guess we are used to booking with an agent, one stop. With ABTA protection. We have contacts for Cyprus but even so the hotels seem more expensive if booked separately.

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

The site looks friendlier than kit was a few years ago. As mentioned we are more used to ABTA protected hols than buying in bits and bobs. We have a Cypriot friend who suggested self catering but it all seems such hard word to reaource all the different bots so far in advance. With no protection.

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

Thanks. See other replies .

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Avios- could someone explain the options for using these

OP - are you aware of the two sites for Avios? There is avios.com and ba.com. You will have your points on one but can set up an account on the other and then move your points between the two at will.

You will find different options on the two sites so it's worth looking at both.