We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSSS on boarding pass

Paris, France
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
SSSS on boarding pass

A couple of weeks ago my wife noticed a credit on her bank statement. It was a £120 refund from BA. When she called them to find out the reason for this generousity she was told that she had been charged for an additional checked bag which should not have been the case and she was being refunded..

Roll on to today and I take her to the airport and attempt to check 3 bags. Check in person says you are flying business and you can only check 2. My wife told said agent what has happened, and he said thats a new one on me. He looked at her account and could see that the payment that she had made for extra baggage had been refunded. He was adamant that she would have to pay £150 extra bag fee - and was rather rude in his manner Quite naturally we complained about this. This was BA's cock up - they issued the refund. My wife was quite happy to pay the original £120 but now, because she was not pre-paying she was expected to pay an additional £30. When my friendly check in agent told us this I said to him that I thought we were dealing with BA not Ryanair !!

A manager was called and we eventually settled on agreeing to pay £50. The original credit was down to BA agents not knowing their own systems. Evidently if you are travelling Economy and you are silver that entitles you to an extra bag increasing your allowance to two. My wife was travelling Club World and you do not get an additional bag

When my wife checked her boarding pass whilst waiting for the flight she saw the dreaded SSSS on it - coincidence or BA being vindictive ?

20 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

That's pretty silly. An airline has no personal feelings and doesn't decide who gets searched. That's up to security.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

Sounds like it was handled pretty poorly but if I understand you correctly you ended up saving £70 so I'd call that a result.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

The agent doesn't decided who gets SSSSed. It's random.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

#3 - I do so hope that you are right

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

Why? Do you think you're in for a lifetime of extra screening over this?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,772 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

Under manage your booking the baggage allowance is clearly mentioned and it does take into account what your FF status is. Not sure why this was not checked before going to the airport

And yes the SSSS is something the authorities decide, not the airline

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

"....coincidence or BA being vindictive ?"

Really?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
396 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

I would dare say that the random selection of those getting extra screening is determined sometime prior to opening of check-in.

I got SSSS on my boarding pass coming home from AMS a couple weeks ago. The upside was that the screening took place at the gate just before boarding and once screened we got to board the plane first ahead of boarding group 1 (insert dancing banana emoji here) :-)

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

I got a whole string of SSSS on boarding passes after calling out a UA flight attendant's racism to non English speaking passengers on a flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong once. Interestingly those S's only ever showed up when I was flying United. I was travelling around Asia a fair bit in those days on a few airlines. So maybe OP's query isn't so off the mark. I'm sure airlines would have a means of flagging passengers they think might be iffy to security. Presumably meant for legitimate purposes. Presumably sometimes misused out of petty spite.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: SSSS on boarding pass

You thought you could keep the refund and still check an extra bag, but turns out they still want to charge you but not the discounted pre-paid amount?

There's probably a lesson here. Insist on paying when they tried to refund you? I don't know if you could have done that without much hassle.

As for the ssss, if airline desk agents can control that, then surely security is compromised.

Reply to: SSSS on boarding pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted