We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Larger passengers on easyjet

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Larger passengers on easyjet

Has anyone had any experience of passengers being refused travel on easy jet due to passenger size ?

I have a friend who is a fair size and i have tried to advise her that potentially she may need to purchase two seats however she feels as long as she has an aisle seat she will be fine.

The purpose of my question is not to discuss the discomfort and inconvenience that larger passengers can cause but more has anyone any experience of what is classed as " too big "

I have asked Easyjet if they have any where passengers can try their seats out before they purchase tickets to travel however this facility isnt available

"too big for one seat " appears to be a bit of a grey area

12 replies to this topic
southern england
Level Contributor
380 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

you could get your friend to 'rig up' a seat to the same width as EasyJet and see if she can squeeze into that space , that should give her an idea of how it will be on the plane.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

Indeed it is a bit of a grey area. One problem your friend may encounter with an aisle seat, is if there is any kind of obstruction to the aisle she could possibly be asked to disembark if the flight is full and there are no extra seats.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

Was going to suggest no 1. I think most Easyjet seats are around 17.5" but do it with someone in a seat next to it to ram home the point.

It will almost certainly be more comfortable for her and anyone in the middle (who is already in a less comfortable seat) if she buys an extra seat.

easyjet.com/en/…choosing-a-seat

UK
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

I've not known it, the last EJ flight I did had a lady who was, with trying to be unkind, literally spilling over into the aisle and the seat next to her.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

I’ve seen very big people on EasyJet. My dad is a fair size and is usually uncomfortable (can’t put the tray table down properly) but Mum will grudgingly raise the armrest on short haul LCC flights (2-3 hours) which helps. Either theu fly BA (where they only seat 2 in a row of 3 seats) on short haul or long haul they have premium economy or business seats for comfort. It’s definitely a grey area - the problem would arise if she caused an obstruction for the trolley in the aisle and/or the passenger next to her complains and can’t be moved.

Edited: 25 September 2017, 13:54
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

Easyjet seats are a fairly standard size. Has she flown with other airlines and how did she get on? Does she need a seatbelt extension? Is it just the two of you flying or are there a buch of you. Someone I know is a size 22 but still fits easily into an EZY seat if that is of any help to you.

If it is a long flight then maybe you could chip in for the extra seat assuming it is not too expensive. That will make you more comfortable too. Always nice to have extra space.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,626 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

One of my family is easily a size 20 and she has flown Easyjet without even needing a seat belt extender.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

larger passengers are not peculiar to easyjet ! watching a programme "airline usa" about south western the other day and there was a person being told that they had to buy two seats or else not fly. mind you, she might even have needed three seats !

Canada
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

Take 2 17inch squares of cardboard. Put them on the floor , Have her sit on one and see how much oft the cardboard is visible, Take a picture to show her. Then you sit beside her for 10 minutes on the other cardboard and see how comfortable you are.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Larger passengers on easyjet

I would hazard a guess at about a size 26

she last flew 3 years ago and had to use a seat belt extender then and i would say she has gained a few additional stone since , the tray cannot come down

Personally in those shoes i would book 2 seats or at least try and do something about size but thats another debate !!!!

i think i will try and find a seat of a comparable size - Her comfort and her partners ( sitting next door to her ) are not my concern , my concern is the embarrassment and inconvenience of being unloaded

Reply to: Larger passengers on easyjet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted