We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA or Virgin to New York with children?

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BA or Virgin to New York with children?

Am travelling solo with my 3 children to New York in October and wondered how people felt about BA vs VIrgin? A lot of the BA flights seem to be operated by American Airlines so am deliberating. I've never really had a great experience with American but the Mileage scheme with BA suits us as a family better.

20 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

I’ve done both. In economy I wouldn’t say there’s a huge difference so fly with whoever suits from an airmiles perspective. I would book seats together as a group as those flights get full with commuters with status - I can’t recall if that’s free on Virgin vs a paid for charge on BA but I think it is. At least half of BA’s flights are operated by BA rather than AA so you should have plenty of choice.

UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

You also have to pay on Virgin Atlantic...selection is free at twenty four hours out.

https:/…seating.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

Thanks for confirming grumpyoldchap - it’s been a while since I flew Virgin, don’t have status anymore!

HGL
Almeria Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

Purely a personal preference, but given the choice I prefer Virgin. Cabin crew generally seem friendlier.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
534 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

Slight preference for Virgin in economy but so slight that anything, miles accumulation for instance, would tip the scale to BA.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

BA or Virgin in economy.

I would first look at schedule, especially if you want a specific airport other than JFK.

Price is obviously important.

If there is still not a winner, then your preference of mileage will tip the balance toward BA.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

You've not said what class of travel but I wouldn't rule out AA. Depending upon when your last flights with them were, they have very new 777-300/77W aircraft which they use on the LHR-JFK flights. The FC seats are decent, though not class leading, with their business class seats on those flights being amongst the best in the industry. I've not flown them in Economy/Main Cabin Extra but the latter is a cheap way of scoring extra legroom.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

And if you look at the Virgin Atlantic flights you'll find some of then are operated by Delta (which owns roughly half of Virgin Atlantic anyway)

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

"BA or Virgin in economy".

I don't think the OP mentioned class .... but with 3 kids I would say anything other than econonmy would be quite expensive, Virgin also gets my vote.

London
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA or Virgin to New York with children?

If you book direct with BA online then you can ensure your flight is on BA aircraft. I suspect the same is true with Virgin if you want to avoid Delta as well. Cant help with the issue of children as it is quarter of a century since I flew with children.

Reply to: BA or Virgin to New York with children?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted