We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

I've been trying to book a flight from Leeds to Gran Canaria, but the payment won't go through - it just keeps saying “Your fares have sold out at this price”, and then when I press “pay securely” to the increased price, it still won’t work...

I spoke to a Jet2 adviser on the live chat, and she said that this happens when guaranteed hand luggage is not available on the flight (even though it gave me the option on the booking...) It does make sense though, because when trying to book again without guaranteed hand luggage, it lets me proceed to the final checkout stage on PayPal.

However, I'm only planning to travel with my hand luggage, and won't be checking in any 22kg suitcases at the desks. Assuming that I check in online, print out my boarding pass, and just go straight to the airport security, how/when would they check my hand luggage? Because if it's not guaranteed, theoretically they could take it off me and put it in the hold, but I don't understand when they'd be able to do that if I don't go to the main check-in desks... or would it happen at the gate?

7 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

Yes, it would happen at the gate.

Edited: 25 September 2017, 10:11
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

Ok, that makes sense. I have a small cabin case that would go in the overhead compartment if they let me take it on, but it'll have my laptop inside. If they take this small cabin case off me and put it in the hold, would they let me carry my laptop onto the plane so I can have it with me? Or would my laptop have to go in the hold as well? Because I don't really want my valuables going in the hold...

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,535 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

It's wise to keep a small bag (that will fit under the seat) containing valuables/laptop/medication etc inside your carry on so it can be easily removed in a gate check scenario.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

Thank you for your help. My laptop will be in a small satchel bag inside my cabin case anyway (to prevent it moving around), so if they take the cabin case off me at the gate, I suppose I can just take out the satchel bag with the laptop to put under my seat and give them the cabin case (which will only have a few clothes in).

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

I've found that the Jet2 website seems to check availability of various extras at the point of payment and not as I'd expect at the point of adding them. I got to the end of booking and after booking a seat, only to be told that no seats were available at the price specified and they would be £2 more.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

That's really annoying... Anyway, I was able to go on "manage booking" and it let me book guaranteed cabin luggage as an extra add-on, so I've done that now and they won't take the case off me when I board the aircraft. I'm not sure why I couldn't do it as part of the main booking, but at least it let me do it in the end.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,820 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage

" not sure why I couldn't do it as part of the main booking"

You must have missed it-it on the page flogging insurance etc -easily missed.

SS

Reply to: Jet2 Guaranteed Cabin Luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted