We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

Does anyone know the minimum connect time for Fort Lauderdale, international to domestic?

Arriving from Havana, looking to pick up a flight FLL-MDW.

Will be traveling with carry-on luggage only.

Thanks in advance

15 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,534 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

If you intend booking separate tickets I would be looking for a connection time of around 5 hours + as a buffer in case the first flight is delayed.

It all depends on your attitude to risk and whether you can afford to lose the FLL - MDW ticket, you not only could face operational issues on the day but schedule changes between booking and flying which makes it an impossible "connection".

Any reason why you cannot buy these flights on the same ticket where the airline is responsible for getting you to MDW.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

OP is booking FLL - MDW on Southwest? That will at least allow them to change the flight without penalty if necessary although they would still be responsible for a fare difference.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,141 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

You will need to do immigration and customs and security again when you land in FLL.

I didn't realize there were flights from Havana there at this time?

IF you were on one through ticket we'd suggest 3hrs to complete the necessary formalities.

Since you are buying a completely separate ticket I'd want more time unless you are on Southwest Air which has a very generous change policy.

It doesn't matter what the minimum connection time is at that airport because on separate tickets it is not really considered a "connection".

Edited: 24 September 2017, 13:47
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,960 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

Do any of these flights involve Spirit Airlines? What are the airlines involved? There are 4 separate terminals s at FLL- so it may involve getting from one Terminal to another- the airlines involved would help determine how far that walk ( or shuttle bus ride) will have to be.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,657 posts
1,303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

Yes, as asked, knowing the airlines involved, might assist others in answering your question.

Personally, I find airlines'/airports' MCT to be a bit of pie in the sky - possible, if everything goes perfectly, and I mean PERFECTLY.

Good luck,

Hunt

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

Thanks everyone. All tickets are Southwest. I do have a through ticket from HAV-MDW but they have made major changes to the FLL-MDW portion of the ticket and has now gone from a direct flight to 2 stops and as a result more than doubled my flying time.

The only other change Southwest can recommend is to move to an even longer flight that gets me in the next day.

Was looking at ditching the FLL-MDW portion of original ticket and booking new stand alone ticket FLL-MDW either with Southwest or Delta. Looking to gain an understanding on connect times for this purpose.

Any further advise/input would be appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

"Looking to gain an understanding on connect times for this purpose"

Minimum connection times are basically meaningless when flying on separate tickets.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

Not meaningless at all.

I would be looking for advise from people with experience in moving through this airport under similar circumstances. ie Int to Dom, separate tickets.

Hope that clears things up. If you have anything of value to add, please do so.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

You can book a stand-alone FLL-MDW ticket on Southwest but not change your flight so you have the same connection?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport

"I would be looking for advise from people with experience in moving through this airport under similar circumstances. ie Int to Dom, separate tickets."

Nothing wrong with that, my point is that it has nothing to do with minimum connection times which is what you asked about earlier. So yes, meaningless.

Reply to: Connection times Fort Lauderdale Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted